Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 13, 2018, 03:33:50 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 13, 2018, 03:32:19 PM
Then let's raise three.

Is that a proposal calling for a vote? And if so, are you ready to provide the Faction voting order?

Vote to raise three legions. These are needed as a buffer in case unforseen trouble develops.

Voting order:

Conservatives
Progressives
Populists
Aristocrats
Plutocrats
Militarists

Conservatives vote yes

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

malize

While out of order, populist vote will be affirmative

Erax

IncompetentIdiot

JasonPratt

That's 28 votes 'pro', with only potentially 15 votes 'con' remaining; and with no advantage to the remaining two factions for voting against. So we can end the vote here with a win for the proposal.

I don't think anyone wants to burn cash on another land bill right now -- unrest isn't an emergency (and if it was, you should have elected a Populist as Roman Consul. ;) ) And it would be worse than pointless to vote to disband any of those Legions.

So that ends the Senate Phase for this Turn! I'll process data and move on to the Revolution Phase soon.

As a preliminary to that, no one can rebel yet, and no one has so many cards that they need to discard, so the only questions will be whether anyone wants to donate or trade cards with other Players (which can actually be done at any time but which will 'arrive' at the next Phase); and whether anyone has valid Statesmen and/or Concessions to play. I'll double-check everyone and post pmails to let you know your options.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Okay, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Legions have been raised again to Active. The 5th, 6th, and 7th remain potentials in the Force Pool.

The Republic's Treasury has dropped 30 Talents down to 9 remaining. Not counting any donations coming up from senators, though, you can expect to end the Revenue Phase with 56 in the bank.

No one, has it happens, has any playable cards for the Revolution Phase. If anyone has any theoretically playable cards for this phase, you can assume I've already sent out all p-mails to those people to let them know. If you don't have a p-mail from me on this topic for this Turn, you don't have even a theoretically playable card.

As always, I'll send p-mails to Players when you have actually or theoretically playable cards during a Phase, so don't worry too much about it.  O:-)

If anyone wants to donate or trade cards immediately, I'll allow a reasonable amount of time as usual for asynch lag purposes. Just let me know before the next Forum Phase starts.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Speaking of donations! -- and I'm putting this in its own post for emphasis:

two senators are currently being held hostage for ransom by the barbarian raiders from the north!

Both are, ironically, from recently raised families.

Acilius of the Plutocrats:

and Aurelius of the Populists:

Senators receive no income when captured for ransom, according to the rules, but I don't think that's reasonable -- rather, any income they receive must be spent up to the balance of their remaining ransom. Their captors aren't total fools, they wouldn't turn down 3 Talents which Aurelius' family would be receiving for him managing Rome's mining operations, nor the 1 he'd normally receive from just being a wealthy family doing normal business.

Acilius was captured with two Talents, so he only needs 8 more to be released.

Aurelius was captured with five Talents! -- so he only needs 5 more to be released. (Both figures to be reduced more during the next income.)

Rome doesn't have the capability to go rescue them, yet. (Or even at all according to the rules! -- but I'm planning to house-mod that a little when-if-ever senators are captured in Wars. The Republic has no way to take the fight to the barbarian homeland right now, so there's no possible rescue now.)

Donations to help with this, from Faction(s) to Faction, can be sent at any time, but the most reasonable time will be during the upcoming Revenue Phase (which is when any donated cash would 'arrive' anyway). I'll talk more about this soon when we get to that phase. (They may die in captivity anyway.)

JasonPratt

This effectively ends the Turn, with any donation/trade/discard of cards allowed by lag for a while, so on to:

TURN THREE -- MORTALITY PHASE!
----------------------------------------

No Immanent Wars yet, so no Wars go Active.

Death strikes Family #13! -- Flaminius, Faction Leader of the Progressives, dies!

Fortunately, he was the Faction Leader. So his family immediately elevates a scion to patrician to take his place as Faction Leader. But the knight was loyal to the previous Flaminius, and so goes back into the invisible pool of minor senators. Normal vote tally reduces 1 to 3. (Flaminius had no other chips to lose yet.)

Had Family #17 been drawn, for example, Plautius of the Progressives, he would have lost all chips and his family card would go to the bottom of the family Senator stack of the Curia in the Forum, to await random respawning. (Which right now is a much better chance than usual thanks to Appius Claudius being alive, since he acts as mentor to train new scions into being patricians for the good of the Republic.) Once respawned, whenever that might happen, the new Plautian Senator would go active in the Forum where he would await being persuaded to join a Faction. His Tax Farming #2 Concession would go immediately to the Forum meanwhile, to be voted on reassignment to another senator during the next Senate Phase.

But fortunately for Erax, that didn't happen. In effect, he just lost his only knight, that's all. But I wanted to take the opportunity to demonstrate the advantage a Faction Leader has, in death, over any other senator.

Two more death chips are drawn for the senators in Captivity, but their family numbers didn't come up, so they're fine. The barbarians may be barbaric, but they aren't stupid: they'll wait to see if the families can come up with the ransom demands.

This ends the Mortality Phase. I'll start processing the Revenue Phase soon.

Erax

The Progressives wish to hold a round of games in honor of the recently departed Flaminius the Elder, to which end we request a loan of one talent from any faction. We offer to repay TWO talents next turn.

JasonPratt

^^ Hear, hear!

Make that a public contract, and it will even be enforceable.  O:-)

JasonPratt

TURN THREE -- REVENUE PHASE
-------------------------------------

The Phase that everyone loves the most has come around again! -- time to harvest your income!

None of the available choices for Players in Segment Two involve messing much with the game, so after the first two turns I've decided that the Player order doesn't matter (for this purpose): we don't have to start with the HRAO and go around the table clockwise. Any Player can report their choices whenever you're ready.

The choices, as before, currently come down to:

1.) Distribute your collected Faction cash back to senators as you prefer (including to any Captive senators whose ransom hasn't been paid off yet);

and

2.) Donate from any of your senators' Personal Treasuries as many Talents as you prefer to the Republic's Treasury. (Currently at 9 Talents, but it'll soon have a net 56 Talents not counting any donations.) Any senator who donates 10 Talents will gain 1 Influence. (A senator would need to donate 25 Talents to gain 2 Influence, which I doubt will be possible for anyone.)

Remember when doing your distributions, that the Forum Phase will come next, and you may want to Persuade a knight (needs 5 Talents for automatic success) or Persuade a senator to join your Faction (which the persuading senator's cash could help with -- or cash in your Faction Treasury, and Personal Treasuries could help prevent!) As Erax noted, any senator during the upcoming Forum Phase can also Sponsor Games, for which he'll need 7, 11, or 18 Talents (for Popularity gain of 1, 2, or 3; and Unrest reduction similarly.)

I'll batch report everyone's Segment One finances in the next post.

Erax

Ooh, these costs are different from the ones I have, I guess everything is a bit cheaper in the prequel eras! Ignore my previous post, the Progressives do not need a loan!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on October 14, 2018, 01:06:01 PM
Ooh, these costs are different from the ones I have, I guess everything is a bit cheaper in the prequel eras! Ignore my previous post, the Progressives do not need a loan!

If you mean for the games, no the costs are the same in each Era. I read the costs straight off the game board.

But since I know at least one place there's a misprint on the official game board (where a 2d6 for rolling results should be 3d6), I double-checked the April 2018 Living Rules. But the rules say refer to the game board. My "Sabrerules" compilation also says 7, 13, or 18 from Personal Cash. The Streamlined Rules from the previous edition of the Living Rules, prints 7, 13, and 18. Maybe the older Avalon Hill rules were more expensive for games?

Here's a board snapshot taken just now:

I also just double-checked the Birth of the Republic board, and the figures are the same. Perhaps later editions of the game now use what was originally cheaper Birth costs compared to normal Eras?

JasonPratt

And now, the Faction tallies:

I.I.'s Aristocrats: Starting cash = 4; +2 +2 from personal Treasuries; +3 +2 from senator incomes; +1 from knights; +3 from Valerius' Harbor Fees (no corruption yet) = new Faction cash total 17 Talents.

Tripoli's Militarists: starting cash = 0; +2 from Personal Treasuries; +3 +1 from senator incomes; +1 +1 from knights; +0 from (no) Concessions = new Faction cash total 8 Talents.

The Frog's Plutocrats:
Captive Acilius has 2 Talents, and earns another 1 = new personal Treasury total 3 Talents. Needs 7 more to be returned to Rome.
Faction starting cash = 0; +0 from Personal Treasuries; +5 (Plutocrat Leader bonus) +1 from senator incomes; +(2x2=)4 from knights (Plutocrat knight income bonus); +0 from (no) Concessions = new Faction cash total 10 Talents.

AzTank's Conservatives: starting cash = 1; +2 +2 +2 from Personal Treasuries; +3 +3 from senator incomes; +0 from (no) knights; +0 from (no) concessions; +2 from 1d6 PontMax income = new Faction cash total 15 cash.

Malize's Populists:
Captive Aurelius' Personal Treasury = 5; + 3 from Mining Concession = 8. Needs 2 more Talents to be returned to Rome.
Faction starting cash = 1; +0 from (no other) Personal Treasuries; +3 from senator income; +1 from knight; +0 from (no other) Concessions = new Faction cash total 5 Talents.

Erax's Progressives: starting cash = 0; +5 from Personal Treasury; +3 +1 from senator incomes; +0 from (no) knights; +2 from Tax Farming Concession = new Faction cash total 11 Talents.

Next I'll post current Player mat screenshots, since this may make a difference in how you want to distribute your caches of cash. ;)

JasonPratt

Clockwise around the board starting from Player One (not the HRAO, who is Player Four, AzTank's Conservative senator):