Who has A Wing and a Prayer

Started by JudgeDredd, December 08, 2017, 01:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Just wondering if anyone has it and how much more (or less) it gives than Target for Today (aka B-17 Queen of the Skies). I was a wee bit disappointed that none of the stuff was mounted...but I what's the gameplay like?

I'm not convinced I have space for another QotS type game as I have QotS and recently bought (and not played) TfT...but I wanted to see what people thought about what what this brings to the table.
Alba gu' brath

chemkid

hi there! i'm eyeing 'A Wing and a Prayer', too... what do you mean, 'the stuff was not mounted'? (never bought from LnL before...)

BanzaiCat

JD, I have A Wing and a Prayer. I'm finishing up a review of it by this weekend.

I do not own Target For Today.

That all said, Target For Today, I think, is closer to QotS than A Wing And A Prayer. That's not a knock against AWAAP. The LnL title lets you control a squadron of B-17s, and each B-17 has a crew counter. Green crews are represented by generic counters, while more experienced crews are represented by bomber names. David had told me that some people didn't like that at all; they wanted ALL the bombers to have crew names, but his thought (and mine, too, the moment I saw it in the game, before I spoke to him) was that the green crews are basically the newbies that the veterans don't want to waste time getting to know - in a nutshell, anyway. Once they become experienced then you start remembering names. Crews can gain additional experience and get 'promoted' to higher experience levels, so lucky green crews can move on up.

The gameplay is pretty good though I had a few issues with it (especially the components - nothing awful, but one chart was missing so that was a PITA). I don't want to go into great detail before the review is posted but suffice it to say it really boils down to if you want to get a game where you have one crew to control (a'la QotS), or if you like the idea of controlling an entire squadron of B-17s.

Note that in AWAAP, there's B-24 Liberators too. It simulates the war's progression and there's different campaigns you can play, some shorter than others. If you play the longest campaign you'll get the full treatment and will experience everything from Me-109s initially to Me-262s later, plus many others. Again, I can't speak to TfT but I imagine it does the same. It's just the scale and which one appeals to you the most.

By the way, AWAAP's counters are mounted, but the game boards and charts are not.

chemkid

thanks. looking forward to your review.  :)

btw, Vegesack (near Bremen) is on the map - one's birthplace always makes for a nice target, right?! ;)

cheers!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: chemkid on December 08, 2017, 06:11:09 AM
thanks. looking forward to your review.  :)

btw, Vegesack (near Bremen) is on the map - one's birthplace always makes for a nice target, right?! ;)

cheers!

Fortunately the 8th Air Force didn't drop nukes on Germany, otherwise they might have turned out like the Japanese, am I right? ;)

The map was one of the major issues; there were no less than four mispelled city names on it (e.g. Stuttgart was spelled "Sutgart" or something like that). David explained to me that the person responsible for the graphics had some major problems that happened right about the time they were trying to get this to the printer, and assured him they'd fixed the misspellings, but David owned all the problems to the game and blamed himself. David's a stand-up guy and the misprints aren't THAT big of a deal, but they ARE definitely off-putting.

bayonetbrant

y'all know we've got this cool thing we call a "front page" right?

http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/16454
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 08, 2017, 06:35:04 AM

Geez, thanks Brant. I'd forgotten. What would we do without you? :P

mirth

We didn't at 9:30 the other night :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Wait, did "our" IT guy fix something?

mirth

Not exactly. More importantly he didn't break anything.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on December 08, 2017, 06:44:43 AM

most tellingly, his advice was "call someone else"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 08, 2017, 07:05:20 AM
Quote from: mirth on December 08, 2017, 06:44:43 AM

most tellingly, his advice was "call someone else"

Did it work? Yes it did.

JudgeDredd

oooh...Narnia!

Thanks - actually ALWAYS forget about that.  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: chemkid on December 08, 2017, 05:53:14 AM
...what do you mean, 'the stuff was not mounted'?...

Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 08, 2017, 06:03:26 AM
...but the game boards and charts are not.

That's what I meant
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 08, 2017, 06:03:26 AM
JD, I have A Wing and a Prayer. I'm finishing up a review of it by this weekend.

I do not own Target For Today.

That all said, Target For Today, I think, is closer to QotS than A Wing And A Prayer. That's not a knock against AWAAP. The LnL title lets you control a squadron of B-17s, and each B-17 has a crew counter. Green crews are represented by generic counters, while more experienced crews are represented by bomber names. David had told me that some people didn't like that at all; they wanted ALL the bombers to have crew names, but his thought (and mine, too, the moment I saw it in the game, before I spoke to him) was that the green crews are basically the newbies that the veterans don't want to waste time getting to know - in a nutshell, anyway. Once they become experienced then you start remembering names. Crews can gain additional experience and get 'promoted' to higher experience levels, so lucky green crews can move on up.

The gameplay is pretty good though I had a few issues with it (especially the components - nothing awful, but one chart was missing so that was a PITA). I don't want to go into great detail before the review is posted but suffice it to say it really boils down to if you want to get a game where you have one crew to control (a'la QotS), or if you like the idea of controlling an entire squadron of B-17s.

Note that in AWAAP, there's B-24 Liberators too. It simulates the war's progression and there's different campaigns you can play, some shorter than others. If you play the longest campaign you'll get the full treatment and will experience everything from Me-109s initially to Me-262s later, plus many others. Again, I can't speak to TfT but I imagine it does the same. It's just the scale and which one appeals to you the most.

By the way, AWAAP's counters are mounted, but the game boards and charts are not.
I look forward to it  O0
Alba gu' brath