Rise of Flight - Flying Circus Vol. 1 EA now available

Started by Jarhead0331, July 30, 2018, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on November 20, 2018, 09:25:44 AM
Trying to decide on whether to invest in the final, ultimate version of WOFF or try Flying Circus...

There don't seem to be many planes in Flying Circus yet.  No British semi-clunkers like the FEb-d giant pusher or the RE-8.  I'm just going to play the old ROF for a while since it has lots of planes and I can actually shoot down the AI.  The great thing about Flying Circus eventually would be the landscape and the possibility of time-framed battles (they have mostly post-Bloody April planes mostly now, but they could issue a Bloody April pretty easily since they already have the Arras region).  WOFF -- If i didn't have most of RoF already i think I would get Flying Circus.  i probably will eventually.

Gusington

This is the age old conundrum which I like to rehash every year around this time...there's never a good answer!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: Gusington on November 20, 2018, 09:25:44 AM
Trying to decide on whether to invest in the final, ultimate version of WOFF or try Flying Circus...

Well I think that depends on the way in which your imagination kicks in when playing games...Of the two,  WoFF* provides you with the more active backdrop to your flying, in terms of AI and so on.  What RoF does - and by extension FC - is to give the better sensation of flying, at the expense of fewer things happening around you.  So, if it's important to you that you are "flying", that the different crates have character, and the scenery and skyscape are evocative, and that these things let you summon up the war around you, go for FC.  If, on the other hand, you need more evidence of the war and are happier to project the feeling of flying, pick WoFF.

Of course, the ultimate PC WW1 flying experience is RoF online (and I believe FC will improve on this).  However that is experience is so good because of the amount of virtual peril and I do understand that that's not everybody's idea of enjoyment.

*I'd better point out that I only had the original paid-for iteration of this and didn't get on with it.

Skoop

I have WOFF UE and fc.  Woff is great for the historical campaigns and worth the price, the complete package has a nice value and goes onsale.  I liked Woff so much I went for WOTR and was slightly disappointed mainly because I wanted it to be BoB WOV and it's not.  The campaign engine for Woff doesn't scale to the Battle of Britain, for me anyway, but it's perfect for depicting WWI combat.

As for FC, it will be a great alternative once it's complete, your really investing now on what will be a great game next year.  The new campaign system is very similar to woff's system, so we may finally have top notch graphics with good sp gameplay.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2018, 08:08:54 AM
Why should they offer a discount? It's a totally different game.

It's not their fault you bought and didn't play the original.  :2funny:

I disagree.

They basically announced it was the old ROF with revised graphic effects and a switch to the IL2BOS campaign system (which isn't very good anyway).

At the moment, there is far more content in the original ROF.  Which I really enjoyed in the big ongoing multi-player servers.  I had purchased a majority of the flyable aircraft for it.  Not looking forward to re-purchasing the hordes of DLC planes again when they eventually get added.

I'd be faster to adopt the new one if they offered an upgrade DLC.  Instead I feel like a DLC microtransaction milk cow, looking at all those DLC aircraft needing replacement along with the core reboot.  Sitting firmly on the fence for awhile.  :-"

Gusington

I was leaning towards WOFF Ultimate until reading above that Flying Circus will eventually have a dynamic campaign...thank you Father Ted. But...not sure how happy I am paying 70.00 now, then paying additional money as additional planes are released. That's how payment will work, right?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

Like most of the il2 BOX series, you buy the core set that gets you 10 planes and a map, then it's you to you if you want the dlc or not.  Usually the core set is balanced enough that you could ignore the dlc.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

No, it'll be the same improved system they used in kuban.  It'll most likely ship with release of the map.  It'll be a while though, they have to finish the west front wwII map, then convert it to wwi era for FC.

It's almost like they've taken on some of Dcs strategy with 3 different projects going at once.  It makes sense what their doing.  Il2 bodenplate lays the foundation for FC which makes development easier, prokorovka will add another flyable map to the east front if you don't want to drive tanks.  I really wanted them to go to the pacific but this path makes sense for now, il2 pacific will have to wait til 2020.

Gusington

Thanks Skoop - I'll probably wind up getting both, who am I kidding :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

Lol that's what I did.  You could just do Woff now to scratch the itch, then get FC when it's released or even wait months after release and get it on a half off sale.  Me personally, I love trying out the new toys right away even though it's incomplete.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: Skoop on November 20, 2018, 02:16:12 PM
  It'll be a while though, they have to finish the west front wwII map, then convert it to wwi era for FC.

I don't think that's what happening.  As I understand it the Western Front FC map will be its own entity - didn't Bodenplatte happen further north and east?  But, yes, it will be a while before it's out.  Until then we'll be drip-fed WW1 planes to muck about in over various places in 1940s Russia.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on November 20, 2018, 01:14:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2018, 08:08:54 AM
Why should they offer a discount? It's a totally different game.

It's not their fault you bought and didn't play the original.  :2funny:

I disagree.

They basically announced it was the old ROF with revised graphic effects and a switch to the IL2BOS campaign system (which isn't very good anyway).

At the moment, there is far more content in the original ROF.  Which I really enjoyed in the big ongoing multi-player servers.  I had purchased a majority of the flyable aircraft for it.  Not looking forward to re-purchasing the hordes of DLC planes again when they eventually get added.

I'd be faster to adopt the new one if they offered an upgrade DLC.  Instead I feel like a DLC microtransaction milk cow, looking at all those DLC aircraft needing replacement along with the core reboot.  Sitting firmly on the fence for awhile.  :-"

I thought I had read that it is a totally game and engine. If that is not true, then I stand corrected.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Dude, the IL-2 BoX and WoFF might both have dynamic campaigns, but the only similarity between the two is that they share the name dynamic campaign.

WoFF is worlds ahead of BoX in simulating a war.  BoX is more of a random mission generator.  In that sense it's dynamic, but it's not like you're fighting a war.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs