Rise of Flight - Flying Circus Vol. 1 EA now available

Started by Jarhead0331, July 30, 2018, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Father Ted on July 30, 2018, 04:34:59 PM
If you have any of the previous BoX modules you could take on the WW2 crates in the Spad or Dr1 in QB, but I'm not sure how often you'd want to repeat that experience
There was a game out years ago - may have been for the Atari 500 or something - or possibly PC - where you could fly different planes from different eras. I recall an F-16 and Spitfire being in the mix and there just must've been at least one WWI crate. I think there were several planes from each era.

Can't remember what the game was called though.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

nope  :buck2:

Sorry - I think it is the title one on that page (missed it and was looking at the list of two below it).

Air Duel - 80 Years of Dogfighting
Alba gu' brath

RyanE

I think Chuck Yeager's flight sim allowed the multi-era approach also.

em2nought

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 01, 2018, 12:06:54 PM
Quote from: em2nought on August 01, 2018, 09:53:22 AM
If Flying Circus supported the Oculus Go I'd buy it, and the Oculus Go. lol

Just get a Rift or a Vive if VR is the deciding factor for you. They are both far superior to the Go, which isn't really meant for this kind of gaming.

I was hoping to be able to go a cheaper route at least until I know whether I can stomach VR without hurling.   Maybe I should try it out somewhere.
Stolen elections have consequences.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 30, 2018, 03:44:32 PM
WWI aviation really isn't my bag...but I know some of you dig it.

Wasn't sure I'd enjoy the original ROF.  Took years before I really dived in.

Glad I did.  The multiplayer really hammers home good dogfight tactics, being so close, so slow, and having to stay on target for so long.  Yet with so much lift from all those wings you can do some crazy shit coordinating stick & rudder. 

Plus it was an visual, and especially aural, feast.  The wind sounds in ROF were a great substitute for the missing tactile feeling and sense of motion missing from flying a monitor.   O0

As a bonus, it got me hooked on reading more about WW1 air combat, and some of the pilot's memoirs which were really interesting stuff.  Those guys were nuts climbing into those old crates which were always trying to kill them, even before running into the enemy.  :o

Yskonyn

I really enjoyed my time with RoF as well!
But I haven't kept up with this new project. Will this be some kind of merger project where IL-2 gets merged with RoF over time or something?

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Father Ted

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 04, 2018, 01:13:08 AM
Will this be some kind of merger project where IL-2 gets merged with RoF over time or something?

In a word: no.  Flying Circus is a new game, distinct from RoF.  777 hope to build compatible expansions for it (hence "Vol 1") in which you'll get different planes/maps.  Vol 1 is expected to have 10 planes (the usual crowd-pleasers) and a map of part of the Western front.  If that sells well enough, then I guess they'll start to fill out the plane/map roster with (paid-for) expansions until we get back to a similar content level as RoF has today.

Skoop

It's merged in a sense that it's all activated under my il2 box steam account.  When it's done it'll probaly have the new sp career mode that il2 box has.  For now it's just QB dogfights.

MengJiao

Quote from: Skoop on August 03, 2018, 03:44:49 AM
Your ROF purchases do get you additional discount depending on how much spent.

Looking at the old Rise of Flight

Destraex

Maaaan. I own about 6 aircraft in the original ROF and have barely played more than an hour of it. Such a waste of money for me. I really should have played more. They really need to offer some discount to ROF owners as aircraft we already own come out for sale. Or have they done that already?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Why should they offer a discount? It's a totally different game.

It's not their fault you bought and didn't play the original.  :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Destraex on November 20, 2018, 07:45:25 AM
Maaaan. I own about 6 aircraft in the original ROF and have barely played more than an hour of it. Such a waste of money for me. I really should have played more. They really need to offer some discount to ROF owners as aircraft we already own come out for sale. Or have they done that already?

They did to the tune of a percentage off for a amount of time.  Going off of memory, I'm going to say that it was something like 10-15% off - not certain if that could have been stacked to a game if it was on sale as well.

While interested, I never jumped at the chance as the payoff in terms of flyable planes (WW1 wise) just isn't there yet and I've frankly sunk too much to turn back now into the original RoF.  Perhaps in time I will make the transition to the newer stuff.

Gusington

Trying to decide on whether to invest in the final, ultimate version of WOFF or try Flying Circus...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd