Main Menu

DCS F/A-18C

Started by Jarhead0331, July 03, 2017, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Why wasn't this prioritized over the WWII crap? This has got to be the most eagerly anticipated module for DCS...at least for me. Looks fantastic!

https://www.facebook.com/eagle.dynamics/videos/10159004303245341/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 03, 2017, 11:28:40 AM
Why wasn't this prioritized over the WWII crap? This has got to be the most eagerly anticipated module for DCS...at least for me. Looks fantastic!

https://www.facebook.com/eagle.dynamics/videos/10159004303245341/

Because a third party ran a big Kickstarter in order to add a bunch of WW2 stuff to DCS.  Then they completely dropped it, after being paid, and left DCS with the obligation to fulfill it. 

At least, that's what I gathered from their statement a few years ago.  They apologized for the debacle, and proceeded to devoting most of their time doing this WW2 distraction.  Leaving the other stuff to mostly languish, in the meantime, until the WW2 stuff was done.   :pullhair:

Meanwhile, some small 3rd party devs have been slowly putting out some new aircraft.  But they often have to wait to get some things implemented.  One of the notable examples being the commands & AI for a back-seater; such as a RIO for the upcoming F-14.  Along with individual aircraft updates.

Everything has slowed.  I suspect we would've had DCS v2 fully implemented awhile back, and more, if it not for that Kickstarter screw-up.

I keep seeing preview Alpha stuff for the upcoming F-18, AV-8 Harrier, and F-14.  Coming along slowly.  There are probably more in the works right now.  The Strait of Hormuz map is direly needed too, IMO, although I'm not sure if development has gone very far yet.  Since, IIRC, DCS does all the maps in-house & they're still focused on Normandy '44 map *sigh*.

JudgeDredd

I haven't even bought the Viggen yet. I promised myself I wouldn't be buying anymore modules until they get releasing.

1.5 is still in beta and 2 is in godamn alpha!

I do hope I can hold out. The weak pound is helping me mind  O0

It does look sweet though
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Nefaro has the right of it; the whole WW2 thing was something ED had to deal with themselves unexpectedly. I think they are to be commended for the sheer quality of the models they present in the Asset Pack and for getting this over the finish line at all.
Unfortunately lots of 'core' DCS stuff got delayed (even more) because of it, but now that the merger of DCS v1 and v2 is talked about more frequently, let's hope this is a good sign for things to come at a slightly increased pace.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

RyanE

I keep sitting on the sidelines and waiting for DCS to get sorted out.  For a while, it seemed like it would never happen.  I play the free part now and then jsut to remind myself.  But until I see some non-WW2 stuff getting released, I am staying out of it.

JudgeDredd

Does anyone else subscribe to this Bunyap Sim's channel on Youtube?

He's done some superb videos for DCS modules but I haven't heard anything from him for 5 months? Anyone got any scoop? I hope he's ok.
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2017, 12:55:51 AM
Does anyone else subscribe to this Bunyap Sim's channel on Youtube?

He's done some superb videos for DCS modules but I haven't heard anything from him for 5 months? Anyone got any scoop? I hope he's ok.

Found this and hope it is correct : (posted a week or two ago on youtube)

Is bunyap still around?

Yep, he's working on a DLC campaign for the Spitfire in DCS, which is why he hasn't been making videos. The campaign is scheduled to be released very soon. It just entered testing.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Apocalypse 31

I'm waiting on the 1.5 / 2.0 merge before I give up any more of my cash to Eagle Dynamics. I've had my eye on the F-5 for a while, but just don't want to pull the trigger until they get this game version weirdness sorted out. As for the F-18, I don't think we will see this bird being released in the next 1 to 1.5 years, maybe 2. Seems to be very WIP at the moment, despite all of the Hype Videos from Wags. That, and given the really poor development cycle that Eagle Dynamics has displayed in the past.

Sometimes I wonder which company has a slower development cycle. Eagle Dynamics (DCS) or eSim (Steel Beasts [still waiting on the terrain patch that was supposed to be released in December '16, then again in spring '17])

Edit: With all that being said, I will sit here patiently with my money, and I look forward to the FA-18, 1.5/20 merge, and the BO-105 (hellfires, whaaaat?)

Nefaro

Looks like the official F-18 orientation vids are being finished right now:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on July 05, 2017, 09:08:18 PM

I swear I've seen this video somewhere...if only I could remember where.  :idiot2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 05, 2017, 09:22:21 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 05, 2017, 09:08:18 PM

I swear I've seen this video somewhere...if only I could remember where.  :idiot2:
lmao - mmmm - I think you speak the truth...but where indeed?  :2funny:

Mind you, not having Facebook, I'm thankful for the additional link because if you don't sign in to FB, it gives you a huge banner at the bottom to get you to sign up or sign in and it pops up in yer face every now and again.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

I hate Facebook with a passion. And I don't find it ok that some companies post the brunt of their news on there. Luckily ED has newsletters and Wagner has a YT channel. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on July 05, 2017, 08:36:48 PM
I'm waiting on the 1.5 / 2.0 merge before I give up any more of my cash...
I desperately want to buy more modules - but I take the same view.

I can't recall specifically what it was, but I had to reinstall 1.5 I think in order to get a campaign...I think it was an A-10 one though I'm not sure. I also had issues (though resolved now) where I literally ran out of my 8 keys for my Mig-21 module because of loading it in 1.5 and then loading it in 2.

Get the merge done, show your path and I'm back in the game.
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 06, 2017, 04:22:16 AM
I hate Facebook with a passion. And I don't find it ok that some companies post the brunt of their news on there. Luckily ED has newsletters and Wagner has a YT channel. :)

DCS also posts everything here : https://www.youtube.com/c/eagledynamicstv/videos