Looks like Rising Storm moving on to Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 20, 2015, 07:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

It is a valid tactic. However it is also what I call "easy mode". Sitting in a building lying in wait on a PC game level that you "know" will provide targets is not hard. I could do it right now and be fairly successful.
But war is not fought by single men, who act alone, hiding. Generally it is units of men that co-operate to assault and capture or defend ground that actually win wars.
If an entire level is full of people who are just hiding and acting on their own to snipe, in other words 20 individuals each in an entirely different location not in contact or sight of their units. It's not fun or realistic. Because their commander and radio operator are not providing instructions, they are not moving back or forwards, they in real life would in fact be scared if they were not ALL specially trained scout snipers... because they have no command structure telling them whether they have in fact been overrun or not. Have no way of knowing if they are now behind enemy lines. They don't know if they are cut off from extraction. Lone snipers are not the RULE, they are the exception. But in computer games they tend to be the rule.
It is also extremely frustrating for those that actually try to play the game by capturing ground and fighting, because it means that no place is not covered by a lone hiding person that will kill you as you run by. It makes the game a game of sniper clearing rather than a game of battles between units or co-operating formations. Sniper clearing is not fun imho, it's like clearing terrorist incidents every 10 seconds.
You can lock down areas by being a sniper, but in reality you are fighting your own war in a very artificial way. RO2 and RS2 always encouraged group tactics and that is and should be the way forward. Lone super hollywood hero snipers should be discouraged imho.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

I think a good way to discourage sniper camping, without eliminating the possibility of using it as a tactic would be to stop rewarding people who do it. For instance, if a player has sniped more than 3 other players from the same position without moving, stop awarding points for kills, in fact, don't even count them as kills for game score /stat purposes or for player kill history purposes, if such data is even recorded. Take away the incentive, but don't penalize.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

I enjoyed my latest match at Cu Chi.  The whole map is open field except for some elevated roads and houses.  Meaning the defenders can just do sniping.  My team on the attack was very methodological and we went slow, bounding over watch, squad leaders hiding and keeping alive. "Sniping" as we inch closer to the objective.  Then call in arty.  After the barrage, we move in.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 14, 2017, 04:25:16 AM
I think a good way to discourage sniper camping, without eliminating the possibility of using it as a tactic would be to stop rewarding people who do it. For instance, if a player has sniped more than 3 other players from the same position without moving, stop awarding points for kills, in fact, don't even count them as kills for game score /stat purposes or for player kill history purposes, if such data is even recorded. Take away the incentive, but don't penalize.

Sounds like a plan. I like it. I would modify it a little to include the caveat that if you are close to 2-3 friendlies you do not get penalised.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on May 14, 2017, 05:22:11 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 14, 2017, 04:25:16 AM

Sounds like a plan. I like it. I would modify it a little to include the caveat that if you are close to 2-3 friendlies you do not get penalised.

But what if the other 2-3 players are sniper camping too!?!?!  :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

An idea I had to stop this kind of thing was to make players surrender.  Of course no one in a video game is actually going to surrender: my idea was that once a player is surrounded he is given a time-limited opportunity to retreat, and if he does not take that opportunity he "surrenders" and respawns (perhaps with a greater delay than normal).  This sort of thing already happens in some games, but the reason for the forced respawn is usually that you're suddenly in a minefield or "leaving the battle area".  Surrendering seems to me to be a bit more logical.

jomni

Destraex

Yep. I enjoyed it... but only once I got some friends involved. Lone wolf is no fun in this game. That's the way it should be.

Had a few good games in it with some friends. You definitely do not want to go into combat without good squad teamwork. Unless sniping - easy mode - you go down like a sac on your own. This game has a great mix of game play and realism imho. It's got a lot of features that other games do not have or did not have before it's predecessor, red orchestra 2 came out. If you happen to drop into a clan server, you are as good as dead. They know the maps and the teamwork almost guarantees them success.
Most maps are 64 players, North Vietnam can build tunnels and call SAM sites (+ arty I think) and America can call in air strikes and choppers. The tunnels help the Vietnamese side offset the american choppers air mobility by giving them instant spawn points, sometimes behind the enemy.

jomni

I'm kinda annoyed that Vietnamese squads have no squad spawn.  So Squad Leaders better build those tunnels.  Some new players don't do this.

Commander actions are interestingly different for US and Vietnam.

Would like to see more factions.  Where is South Vietnam?  They did a lot fighting.

Also like the differentiation between the M16 and AK47.  M16 is light with less recoil. Lacks punch.
Which was the major complaint back then when adopting the 5.56 ammo.

Destraex

Rumour has it the ARVN and the Australians are coming. They even recorded sound for the FN-FAL and sterling with the other weapons. Their FAQ says that these two factions will be considered in future but are subject to change.

jomni

Free Weekend.  Should have some more newbie targets to shoot at.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on November 16, 2018, 05:48:03 PM
Free Weekend.  Should have some more newbie targets to shoot at.

Have had it installed for about a month.  Still haven't fired it up.

My FPS urges aren't what they used to be.  I essentially picked it up for the occasional casual liver damage night when I could turn my thinker off and just pull the trigger until it goes *click*.

jomni

There's a new campaign mode. But some filler maps are terrible looking (maybe community made and included by the server manager).

Toonces

It's really good for that, Nef.  I've only played a handful of nights, but it is really fun and not nearly as much of a brain burn as RO2.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Dammit Carl!

I dunno; close games where you lose by a slim ticket disadvantage are a bummer sometimes.

Youtube the trick to get the use of bots on some maps to maybe get a feel for things if the online learning curve aint your bag.