Words of Old FRIDAYS

Started by Hofstadter, March 17, 2017, 12:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartford688

Well I am traumatised (but not at all surprised) to read the early reviews of Mass Effect: Andromeda. Sounds like Mass Effect: Inquisition. MMO in space, tedious fetch quests and resource gathering. As an official Mass Effect addict I have been looking forward to this so much...but Inquisition was a warning.

So I spent quite some time trying to mod Medieval Total War II with Stainless Steel 6.4 - lots of trying to work, but at the end it still just crashes on launch of campaign. *sigh*

So some WoWs - started on US BB line.

Loaded XCom: Enemy Within to continue my campaign...but then had to have myself some Mass Effect consolation. So starting a new trilogy run - Julia Shepard, Renegade Sentinel (a first). Will try dating Ashley (another first) and generally ruin Saren's day. I loaded the MEUTIM mod from Nexus...pretty huge...even with my fast download speeds took an hour (really appreciate Steam speeds now...would be under 5 minutes for 5GB there). And, with that mod, ME1 looks very acceptable indeed. Great modding work.

Gusington

I never got SS 6.4 to work either, so I feel your angst. 6.3 is fantastic though!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Same here with Stainless Steel.  I'm not sure I ever got any version to work...it was a long time ago.

I ended up continuing my run at CK2 as Wales.  I reckon that's close enough to Ireland to count.  And I did sip some Jameson. 

However, I'm seriously considering booting up M2TW and playing through the Britannia campaign.  I've never finished it!   :(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on March 18, 2017, 05:00:22 PM
I never got SS 6.4 to work either, so I feel your angst. 6.3 is fantastic though!

What in hells are you guys doing wrong?   :timeout:

MengJiao

Quote from: Rayfer on March 17, 2017, 07:49:43 AM
Hof...our music tastes haven't always connected in your past choices but this is one is really good. Thanks. This weekend; HoI4, ACW2 and Wars of Napoleon.

CKII, ARMAIII and some flight sims

Gusington

The M2TW Britannia campaign is very good too. Nef if we knew what we were doing wrong we wouldn't have the SS 6.4 issue in the first place!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Hartford688

Quote from: Gusington on March 18, 2017, 05:00:22 PM

Yes, drag that I cannot get 6.4 to work. I see unanswered comments on Moddb site of others with same issue.

Given what you said re 6.3, I was redownloading the package (since 6.3 is the base install for 6.4) but on digging, I see the bugfix files for 6.3 do not seem to be available anywhere now...replaced by 6.4 which does not work for me. Pity.

I'll maybe give Atilla a go after Xcom session.

Gusington

Attila is a good sub for SS 6.3. However, I have not had issues [yet] running 6.3. Maybe you'll get lucky.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Quote from: Hartford688 on March 18, 2017, 04:29:53 PM
Well I am traumatised (but not at all surprised) to read the early reviews of Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I've heard, but not read, a lot of hate for the new game.  Doesn't matter to me.  I'll get it anyway based solely off of a vid jackfrags posted a few days ago on YouTube.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jamus34

Quote from: W8taminute on March 19, 2017, 05:20:57 PM
Well I am traumatised (but not at all surprised) to read the early reviews of Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I've heard, but not read, a lot of hate for the new game.  Doesn't matter to me.  I'll get it anyway based solely off of a vid jackfrags posted a few days ago on YouTube.

Any goodwill I may have had for Bioware died teh day EA bought them.

I may pick it up...when it's down around $20. No interest otherwise.
Insert witty comment here.

Hartford688

Quote from: jamus34 on March 19, 2017, 09:09:33 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on March 19, 2017, 05:20:57 PM

Any goodwill I may have had for Bioware died teh day EA bought them.

I may pick it up...when it's down around $20. No interest otherwise.

Well each to their own, and you must have your own reasons. I can't say I lost any goodwill towards them...they never owed me anything but I have got a lot of pleasure out of their games over the years. And since EA bought them, they have produced what I think are many good games - Dragon Age:Origins, Mass Effect 2 and 3 in particular. At this point I am not convinced by early press that Andromeda is my thing, but I live in hope later reviews, developments or mods may change that...I would love for it to be good. Doesn't have to be perfect.

[Edit]

I see that over at RPS they have an excerpt from the prequel novel for Andromeda - it seems to help with understanding the background:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/20/mass-effect-andromeda-prequel/#comments

Gusington

Damn Alan Wake can be quite difficult in some spots. I needed to restart and backtrack at 'easy' difficulty to get through an area that I tried to get through 150 times and got totally pwned. Of course after an hour I got back to the same spot and made it through on one try. At least I didn't give up :/

This game could really use a save anywhere feature, however.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd