Star Trek Fleet Captains

Started by Nefaro, August 11, 2014, 08:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on September 17, 2014, 04:32:14 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 17, 2014, 03:51:36 PM
Great pics, Nefaro. Your Klingon ships look awesome.
Seconded.  Those B'rel-class birds-of-prey look especially impressive.  O0

Thanks guys.

I spent more time on the BoPs.  Love those things and it showed.   

Had thought about adding more varied color to the D-7s too, as there are some other smaller panels along with the lighter-colored ones.  But there are four of them and I had already spent a lot of time on the set at that point.  I may add some when I go back to finish cleaning up some of the blobbed lines.  My hands were getting less steady as the hours beat on.  :D

AFAIK these use the same models as Star Trek: Attack Wing, although these "Clix" versions come unpainted.

Nefaro

Was surprised to see Angry Joe doing a live stream of this game earlier tonight.  Had to watch. 

I didn't realize he was also an avid tabletop gamer.  O0

Silent Disapproval Robot

I picked up a copy of this on sale after seeing some good reviews.  Grabbed the Romulan expansion along with the base game.  I haven't had a chance to play it yet other than to set it up on my table at home and run through a few turns in order to get a feel for the rules.

The minis and the cardboard chits are decent but my god, I've never seen such chinzty cardstock for the game tiles and the cards.  Even after sleeving, the cards still feel like they're made of damp tissue paper.  The ones that came in the Romulan expansion were pressed around a bag of chits and are very badly warped.  I've had them under 30 pounds for 5 days but they're still badly bowed. I knew WizKids had a reputation for doing things on the cheap, but this is absurd.  I'm going to try to laminate the map tiles but I suspect that'll be a bit of a chore. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 04, 2017, 05:13:31 PM
I picked up a copy of this on sale after seeing some good reviews.  Grabbed the Romulan expansion along with the base game.  I haven't had a chance to play it yet other than to set it up on my table at home and run through a few turns in order to get a feel for the rules.

The minis and the cardboard chits are decent but my god, I've never seen such chinzty cardstock for the game tiles and the cards.  Even after sleeving, the cards still feel like they're made of damp tissue paper.  The ones that came in the Romulan expansion were pressed around a bag of chits and are very badly warped.  I've had them under 30 pounds for 5 days but they're still badly bowed. I knew WizKids had a reputation for doing things on the cheap, but this is absurd.  I'm going to try to laminate the map tiles but I suspect that'll be a bit of a chore.

Yes.. the cards & hex 'tiles' are pretty thin. 

I think the cards will be fine for me, if I sleeve them.  But the hex-shaped cards are what I have to be careful with, when shuffling them.

Edit:

I've also been wanting to pick up the latest Mage Knight board game expansion.  But WizKids screwed up some of the components.  With some randomly drawn cardboard tokens being a different size than all the earlier ones, and some of the cards being a bit discolored. 

They are reportedly sending replacements for them, if you buy the expansion, but you have to contact them and wait for quite awhile for them to show up.  Probably months.  >:(

I suppose it isn't as big of a deal since I only ever plan to play the MK board game solo, but it's still best not to be tipped off as to what I may be getting on my next draw.  :-\

I see their other Star Trek game, based on the Mage Knight system, is getting an expansion released any time now.  Hopefully they learned their lesson.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Have you played Fleet Captains? 

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 04, 2017, 09:00:04 PM
Have you played Fleet Captains?

I ran a couple turns, but still haven't gone full psycho on it.  Partly because I still have grandiose plans of finishing the paint jobs on all the minis first.

And my unpainted minis collection continues to slowly grow.   

I've discovered that it takes far less time to order such things than actually paint them.

Barthheart

Quote from: Nefaro on September 04, 2017, 10:06:54 PM

I've discovered that it takes far less time to order such things than actually paint them.

Ain't that the truth... of the 147 minis that came with Mercs:Recon that I received two years ago I have finished painting 4..... L:-)

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on September 05, 2017, 05:19:46 AM

Ain't that the truth... of the 147 minis that came with Mercs:Recon that I received two years ago I have finished painting 4..... L:-)

;D

Funny you should mention that.  I've only finished a set of 5 (?) guards thus far, and still have yet to glue one or two more factions together.

Those are the ones which have been sitting idle on my painting desk for months.  Haven't painted at all.  :-\

Have both core sets and a couple expansions.  So I'm a LONG way from finishing.

Barthheart

Quote from: Nefaro on September 05, 2017, 12:06:27 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on September 05, 2017, 05:19:46 AM

;D

Funny you should mention that.  I've only finished a set of 5 (?) guards thus far, and still have yet to glue one or two more factions together.

Those are the ones which have been sitting idle on my painting desk for months.  Haven't painted at all.  :-\

Have both core sets and a couple expansions.  So I'm a LONG way from finishing.

Have you seen this guys painted collection.... might use some of his colour schemes.... whenever I get around to painting again.....  :P
http://sync-wargaming.blogspot.ca/2017/05/

Silent Disapproval Robot

Got all the tiles laminated and trimmed.  Wasn't fun but at least it's done and they're a lot more durable.  Now to start modifying the formed plastic storage tray in the box.  It doesn't have room to hold the expansion cards and tiles, especially after they've been sleeved and laminated. 

Nefaro

My Fleet Captains core game actually came with two K'tinga/D7 cruisers with the same name.  I got a dupe instead of the differently named one. 

Luckily the only difference was the name.. the stats on the clix dial are the same.  Easy to just change it myself.  I've read numerous people complaining about having some broken or missing ship minis, though, so I'll count myself lucky.

WizKids QC was  :2funny: at the time.

Although CS seems to be pretty damn terrible for the creators of Mercs: Recon.  I emailed them a year ago, about a missing card in an expansion box, and they never even bothered replying.

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on September 05, 2017, 01:51:29 PM

Have you seen this guys painted collection.... might use some of his colour schemes.... whenever I get around to painting again.....  :P
http://sync-wargaming.blogspot.ca/2017/05/

I dig the style, and how each faction has it's own visual flavor.  Definitely something that drew me to the game.  8)

Picked up the Texas and African based faction boxes because they looked so distinct.  Can't remember the exact faction names.   The Texan nation has the western flavor, with cowboy hat & duster smattering in it.  The African armor looks pretty cool.. with the big shamanic mask-looking helmets & such.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Nefaro on September 05, 2017, 04:15:06 PM
My Fleet Captains core game actually came with two K'tinga/D7 cruisers with the same name.  I got a dupe instead of the differently named one. 

Luckily the only difference was the name.. the stats on the clix dial are the same.  Easy to just change it myself.  I've read numerous people complaining about having some broken or missing ship minis, though, so I'll count myself lucky.

WizKids QC was  :2funny: at the time.

Although CS seems to be pretty damn terrible for the creators of Mercs: Recon.  I emailed them a year ago, about a missing card in an expansion box, and they never even bothered replying.

No problems with the base game for me but two of the ships in the Romulan expansion were broken (easy fix with a little glue) and some of the map hex tiles were not cut properly and had jagged edges and pressure creases.  Little bit of scissor work and a clothes iron helped.  Also, the ship deck and the espionage mission deck were both wrapped around a bag full of counters and had severe bows to them.  Still crushing those under all my Tide of Iron boxes in an attempt to flatten them out but they've still got quite a bend to them.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I tried out the 2-player game tonight at the FLGS.  It was alright but a little too random for my tastes.  The randomized nature of the fleet drafts and starting mission deck made it feel like the game was driving player decisions rather than the player shaping the game via their choices.  The missions that both the Federation player and I drew were quite passive in nature so we both just stuck to our edges of the map and puttered around scoring victory points and never really coming into contact, let alone conflict with one another.