Main Menu

Field of Glory II

Started by Anguille, June 13, 2017, 04:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

What doesn't? Haven't played FoG but if there's a dedicated and workable strategic layer there, I'll but all of them and more.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jomni

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 20, 2018, 10:06:30 AM
What doesn't? Haven't played FoG but if there's a dedicated and workable strategic layer there, I'll but all of them and more.

You actually don't need to play FoG as well. The Empires game is stand-alone AGEOD style. There's a dedicated thread now.

Bardolph

That said, FoGII is a lot of fun.

Gusington

I never played the original but I very much enjoy FoGII.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

I keep buying every DLC that comes out, then don't play it.

I have a hazy elaborate plan to play a massive tournament, to see what the greatest army of all time is...or at least narrow it down. Rock paper scissors, I get that. Some armies would beat the snot out of others, while in turn losing badly to the Romans. Or Greeks.

besilarius

Dennis, not necessarily.  Hannibal's army isn't that impressive, but he beat the Romans consistently until they grew a general on a par with him.
Different player-generals have armies they can get more out of.  Everyone likes the Romans because they had a simple system: break through the enemy armies core troops in the center, before losing it on the flanks.
My own style is to hold back the center while trying to win it on the flanks.  The legions are just so damn machine like.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

airboy

I picked up Field of Glory 2 from the matrix sale for 50% off.

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on November 22, 2018, 12:49:40 PM
I picked up Field of Glory 2 from the matrix sale for 50% off.

:bd:

I need to get back to it soon.

Barthheart

What the best expansion(s)?

Philippe

You really need to get them all to get the full flavor of what's going on.

But I really like playing the Assyrians (the latest DLC) and hope the series gets extended back to the Bronze Age.

[I'm not a big fan of the way the game shows the initial deployment of Roman legions at the start of a battle, but it's easily fixed as soon as the Romans get their first turn.
The Republican Roman manipular checkerboard (aka quincunx) wouldn't have been all that prominent at this scale. ]

Great system apart from that (and the use of Hellenistic helmets on all early greek cavalry types).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Barthheart

Well, the sale is long so maybe I'll start with the base game and still have time to pick up more....

IICptMillerII

Not sure if I could name one of the expansions as best. It really depends on your personal interest. For me, I was very quick to get Legions Triumphant, as it covered the Imperial Roman military. I also got Age of Belisarius quickly as the Late Roman Empire is interesting to me as well. Then I picked up Immortal Fire because of Alexander the Great. I have not picked up the latest DLC, and likely won't for the foreseeable future. Not because I dislike FoGII (I very much enjoy it) but because the time period and factions it covers just does not interest me.

Personally I am hoping they add more DLCs that expand the timeline out to around the Crusades period, and that at some point down the road we get a Napoleonic game based in this engine.

jomni

Quote from: besilarius on November 22, 2018, 11:57:42 AM
Dennis, not necessarily.  Hannibal's army isn't that impressive, but he beat the Romans consistently until they grew a general on a par with him.
Different player-generals have armies they can get more out of.  Everyone likes the Romans because they had a simple system: break through the enemy armies core troops in the center, before losing it on the flanks.
My own style is to hold back the center while trying to win it on the flanks.  The legions are just so damn machine like.

Romans are part of that newbie no-brainer army. Just move forward and attack. Carthage is actually one of the most versatile ones where you can change the composition/tactics of your army to the terrain and opponent due to the diversity of troop types. That said, these type of armies need to use brain power.

Please get my free Silk Road mod too. Hehe.

Something about expansions.  You can actually play all armies from all expansions, even without buying them in Multiplayer. It's actually very generous and you get to try out the armies. Then you can decide if you want the expansion for the solo play content.

Barthheart

Quote from: jomni on November 22, 2018, 06:27:10 PM
Something about expansions.  You can actually play all armies from all expansions, even without buying them in Multiplayer. It's actually very generous and you get to try out the armies. Then you can decide if you want the expansion for the solo play content.

Very cool! Thanks for the info.

ByzantineGames

Quote from: jomni on November 22, 2018, 06:27:10 PM
Something about expansions.  You can actually play all armies from all expansions, even without buying them, in Multiplayer. It's actually very generous and you get to try out the armies. Then you can decide if you want the expansion for the solo play content.

Just to put the record straight:

You can play all armies in MP without getting the DLC, by accepting a challenge set up by someone who does have the relevant DLC.

However, you cannot yourself set up an MP challenge using armies from DLCs you don't have.

So you either need to pick up open challenges, or arrange with an opponent who does have the DLC to set up the specific challenge you want.

You can also play in the official Slitherine tournaments without any DLCs, even if the tournament uses DLC armies.