Wings Over Flanders Fields V2.0 - Coming Soon

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 22, 2014, 07:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

republic

Is a Christmas sale a possibility for WOFF?  I've been eying it for a long while.

Gusington

I don't know if I ever saw those guys put anything on sale...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on December 07, 2014, 08:31:04 PM
I don't know if I ever saw those guys put anything on sale...

They put the original version on sale ($10 off) back in March of this year, but that is all I recall.....since then, they did reduce the price of version #1 and the add-ons so not sure how much lower they would go at this point.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3921448/WEEKEND_SPECIAL:__$10_OFF_WING#Post3921448

I would not suspect them putting the new version 2.0 on sale during this year's xmas season since people who recently purchased it probably would not be overly happy.....

Staggerwing

Is it actually version 2 or an expansion? The web site isn't very clear.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2014, 09:39:53 PM
Is it actually version 2 or an expansion? The web site isn't very clear.

They call it version 2 but is an expansion since it requires the first version installed.

republic

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 07, 2014, 09:53:29 PM
They call it version 2 but is an expansion since it requires the first version installed.

Ok great that was my question too.  So to go all in it would be almost $100 for the original, expansion, and additional planes?

Nefaro

Quote from: republic on December 07, 2014, 09:56:52 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 07, 2014, 09:53:29 PM

Ok great that was my question too.  So to go all in it would be almost $100 for the original, expansion, and additional planes?

The Fokker Scourge expansion is just the early war additions.  The base game already has a huge amount of aircraft types that were in service from around 1916 to the end of the war.  Which was a much more interesting period of the air war IMO.  Some people enjoy the old slow & fugly kits, though, so it's there as an option.. but not needed.

I thought the better of the two smaller expansions was the extra historical Skins pack.  It's always exciting running into an historical ace with his specific paint job on.  Piques my curiosity about their bio & such.  The HAs in your own squadron also use them, of course.  There are some specific ones included in the base game but the Skin Pack expands them quite a bit.  They weren't included with the original because they were done by 3rd party modders who get paid for the skin pack purchases.

You could actually get by with just the base game, as there were quite a few updates to get it cleaned up.  You'll be missing some of the new features, but they aren't game breakers.  That may be the way to start off, to see if you'd enjoy it without going "all in".  I believe they lowered the price of the base game to $45 recently. 

Toonces

^ Totally concur with Nefaro here.

I started with base only.  I did get the extra skin pack, exactly for the same reason as Nefaro says...it's very cool to run into an ace in his proper skin.  Frankly, I've only probably seen a half dozen of the hundreds of custom skins, so this is one of those things that is a long-term investment....it's not going to completely change your experience right off the bat.

I still don't have the early war expansion.

There is so much, so much content in the base game only, that this is one time where it's ok to buy into the base only and just enjoy that for a year or two.  It is really a lot of game for the price.

I don't feel any need to update to 2.0 just now. 

And I wouldn't hold out for a substantial discount.  I don't recall anything more that a few dollars off at any time.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Just a quick recap of costs.....

Combat flight simulator (required) - $10 or less
Woff version 1.0 (required) - $39.99
Planes add on pack 1 (optional) - $12.99
Planes historical skins (optional) - $12.99
Musical scores (optional) - $14.99
Woff version 2 expansion (optional, but requires version 1 if used) - $45.00

TacticalWargames

I never bothered with the early expansion as I rarely fly that period. The skins and version 2 are must haves though.

Gusington

Especially if one is into zeppelins and the Battle of Brtiain V 1.0.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2014, 03:40:46 PM
Especially if one is into zeppelins and the Battle of Brtiain V 1.0.

I wasn't into either of those, but the extra little details persuaded me to purchase.   Like extra ground & cloud shadows (you can get an earlier version of the self-shadowing Dx9 mod for version 1 that has fewer added lighting effects), extra time advancement options, much better sea renders, extra wind buffeting to make gunnery accuracy a bit more difficult, and improvements to the distant airplane "dot" visibility.   Oh.. and perhaps the rare chance at finding a Gotha to shoot at in Entente campaigns.

I haven't been doing much single-player stuff this past weekend.. mostly ROF multi-player.. but the week days are usually solo campaign time.  :)

Gusington

Diff'rent strokes and all that. I am purchasing this for the sheer thrill of downing a zeppelin.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

If anyone is looking to get into this series and don't have version 1.0 yet, seems like they are giving a further discount over the holiday, only $29 for version 1.0...

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd