Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2019, 08:56:10 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 17, 2019, 07:08:20 AM
I am now able to successfully startup the F/A-18, taxi on a carrier, launch, take out two Mig-21s and land.

I now need to look at counter measures to stop being shot down and BVR engagement. Then I'll ramp up the opposition.

Love this baby - but it's just making me wet for the Tomcat tbh.

I'm very comfortable with the Hornet too...which concerns me about the tomcat. The F14 cockpit is so analog, it is practically medieval. It's going to be hard to go back to flying a plane, as opposed to being in one that flies you.
1 MFD!! How do we manage with that!?  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 17, 2019, 11:28:48 AM
I am now able to successfully startup the F/A-18, taxi on a carrier, launch, take out two Mig-21s and land.

I now need to look at counter measures to stop being shot down and BVR engagement. Then I'll ramp up the opposition.

I'm very comfortable with the Hornet too...which concerns me about the tomcat. The F14 cockpit is so analog, it is practically medieval. It's going to be hard to go back to flying a plane, as opposed to being in one that flies you.

Seriously! and have you seen that HUD!?!? Barbarians, I tell you.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

The stuttering is because my computer was doing other stuff at the same time

And it seems like there may be some bugs still........ :2funny:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2019, 12:34:05 PM

Seriously! and have you seen that HUD!?!? Barbarians, I tell you.
Can't wait though. And Jester sounds great with good implementation
Alba gu' brath

mbar

How am I supposed to make a carrier landing without the AOA "E" to line up on the hud? Crazy talk!

jomni

The guy sitting behind should have more screens.

Jarhead0331

whelp...went to the store to pick up a VR unit for the PS4 and ended up walking out with this stuff instead. lol

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Oh hell yes.

:dreamer:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Oh...my...God...I cannot believe the difference. This is an upgrade from the X55 Rhino, which I THOUGHT was more or less pretty decent. I am in shock over the difference in terms of stability in flight. I was really fighting the controls and had no idea it wasn't supposed to be like that. Amazing...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mbar

Jarhead0331

Version 1.0 of the F-14 early access manual has been made public. They have also finally revealed detailed screenshots of the RIO cockpit. Wow. What a dizzying array buttons, switches and knobs. I was and still remain very excited for this module, which should be released very very soon. However, watching some of the videos that have been released, I have concerns over whether I will ever be truly competent at flying this aircraft. It seems extremely difficult to pilot when compared to other aircraft, requiring the use of rudder and stick when maneuvering with AOA to avoid several different problems that can result in a loss of control, or the dreaded flat spin.

After getting very comfortable with electronic flight controls in the Hornet and the Falcon in BMS, I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about going back to a more classic analog FCS.

Based on what I've seen in some of the videos, It's hard to believe this thing didn't kill more pilots during its long operational history.

Anyway, the manual is not available as a downloadable PDF yet. Here is the link for the web based manual...

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/index.html
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

DCS: F-16C Block 50 and Other News

DCS: F-16C Update

As mentioned in our yearly wrap up, one of our biggest projects for this year is the legendary F-16C Fighting Falcon, also called the Viper. In parallel with the Hornet, we already have a sub-team working on the Viper that includes programmers who have completed their Hornet tasks. Much of their focus is currently on the flight model, Flight Control System (FLCS), cockpit and the external model. Using much of what we learned with the Hornet, progress has been good, and is in no way slowing down Hornet completion.

As we pour the concrete, we can start to pass along some of our plans. Please remember they are plans, not timeline promises.

Our Viper will be an F-16C with the Common Configuration Implementation Program (CCIP) upgrade. We feel this to be the most versatile version of the F-16 with capabilities for SEAD, precision attack, close air support, anti-ship, and of course air-to-air. We will be taking great care though to develop a very accurate simulation of the F-16C Block 50 operated by the United States Air Force and Air National Guard circa 2007.

Core systems of our F-16C include:
F-110-GE-129 turbofan engine
AN/APG-68(V)5 multi-mode radar
AN/ALR-56M Radar Warning Receiver
AN/ALQ-131/184 ECM pods
CCIP (Common Configuration Implementation Program) update
ALE-47 countermeasure system

This will be a massive project, so we will separate it into two phases: Phase 1 Early Access release and then Phase 2 Product Sustainment.

Phase 1 Early Access Release:
Color Multifunction Display (CMFD) symbology, Horizontal Situation Display (HSD) format, and Head-up Display (HUD) symbology
Digitally TACAN and Electronic Horizontal Situation Indicator (EHSI)
BDU-33, BDU-50LD/HD, Mk-82LDGP, Mk-82AIR, Mk-84LDGP, BLU-109/B, CBU-87 CEM, and CBU-97 SFW unguided bombs
2.75" rockets LAU-68 and LAU-131
Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS)
AIM-9L/M/P/X Sidewinder
AIM-120B/C AMRAAM
M61A1 20mm cannon

Phase 2 Product Sustainment:
Multifunctional Information Distribution System (MIDS)
Link 16 Data Link
AGM-65D/G/H/K Maverick
AGM-88C HARM
AN/ASQ-213 HARM Targeting System (HTS)
Sniper XR Advanced Targeting Pod
GBU-10, GBU-12, GBU-24A/B laser-guided bombs
BRU-57/A Smart Rack
CBU-103 CEM and CBU-105 SFW Inertially Aided Munitions (IAM)
GBU-31/A, GBU-32, and GBU-38/B JDAM
AGM-154/A and /B JSOW
AGM-158/A JASSM
Integration of the JHMCS with the HARM Targeting System (HTS), Link 16, and AIFF
ALE-50 towed decoy

As this project accelerates, we will be providing updates to keep you abreast of our progress to this much awaited addition to DCS World.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I don't know what the deal is here but I have two missions for the Hornet setup for practice. One is a take off and intercept and the other is landing. Both use the USS Carl Vinson.

Take off mission...all good. Startup, taxi, engage launch bar and take off.

Landing...all good until you land and then want to taxi back to the launch area and take off. The catapult has gone and is just a flat texture. You simply can't take off when you land. Plus there are very big "wheels" on the deck for the hook wires

Is that designed that way?

Also - watch out when you taxi to the foremost starboard(?) elevator...you just go through it.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

It's March now...where's my cat?  :D
Alba gu' brath