Main Menu

War of the Zombie

Started by Jarhead0331, April 05, 2018, 11:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skwerl on April 06, 2018, 02:07:20 PM
JH,

Thanks for the tip (as usual!).  I just picked this up.  I haven't played it yet, but the premise reminds me of an interesting older game called Atom Zombie Smashers.

I may slide out of the office a bit early today so that I can give this a spin.

I had Atom Zombie Smashers too. If I recall correctly, this is actually far more in-depth. However, if you liked AZS, you will probably really like this one too!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Barthheart

Windigo

Thanks Barf,

the comparison to XCOM makes me interested
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

FarAway Sooner

Gus, I hadn't seen that from you, but I'll give you dibs.  Brilliant minds think alike!

Reading the page on Steam, it says that combat versus the Zombies is RTS.  This will totally work for some, but it's a concern to me.  I just find that genre of game is typically too frantic to satisfy me.  If I want a frantically changing dynamic environment, I'll just go back to raising two small children in the real world!

Gusington

^You can always do both.

I am just about to pull the trigger...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on April 06, 2018, 05:17:54 PM
I am just about to pull the trigger...

And then buy the game after a quick nap.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GeneralHawk

About 20 days into the (open ended/non linear) campaign my carrier, renamed SDF1, is off the coast of India.  Multiple cities are reporting infections and zombie outbreaks ranging from the teens to 5k.  I can see quite a few nations are unfriendly or worse as governments become more unstable as the zombie plague spreads, when suddenly 3 different countries launch air strikes against my carrier. I only have 1 F-35 and 1
F-18 available, this is gonna hurt. As the attacks are completed, I pay for repairing the ship and prep for the challenge ahead.

With the current Marines and flight crews available I can launch two ground assault missions (played on tactical map) this turn. I also have to think about retaliation against the countries that launched the air strikes against me. My fighters can't conduct attacks (played on strategic map) this turn as they moved (I scrambled them for air defense during the enemy raid) but I do have some tomahawk equivalent missiles that I can use to safely bombard and degrade a nation's Air Force and even eliminate it with enough ordnance. (This also occurs on the strategic layer, seen as a moving missile launch on global mapscape).

Meanwhile I notice that my two FOBs in Germany and in DC can launch their own tactical missions within the AO they cover. (Ranges are a limitation here). Oh and let's see what my r&d labs are up to and whether I can buy new ones that open new research trees.

End report.

These are the type of decisions faced every turn in this wonderful little game. Incredible tension and even the real time tactical missions are full of little nuance without being a click fest or even close to it. Can't recomment it enough! Fight the infected, find a cure, save the world! (The Last Ship, crossed with Xcom and the Walking Dead)
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

Gusington

GEN Hawk you should work for the publisher's marketing department. If I was on this fence at all about this title I'm not now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Totes sounds like my sort of jam - gracias, GeneralHawk!

Nefaro