Main Menu

Silent Thunder?

Started by Jarhead0331, April 03, 2018, 11:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I understand War Thunder has a new option to play with submarines. Has anyone tried this out?

https://warthunder.com/en/news/5419-silent-thunder-the-first-test-of-the-new-game-en

its not really clear to me whether this is a totally separate game, or if its just a new version of the old.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

From that video I'd say its a standalone game...

Graphics are cool (as in WarThunder), but I don't think I'll like the arena based gameplay.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

Comments say April Fools.  Or maybe they are in denial that the air combat game will be put on the sidelines.

Yskonyn

Inside joke aparently. I am oblivious. Meh. Whatever.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

I played it and enjoyed it for what it was. You were able to use active or passive sonar. Active of course revealed your position but also gave more positive information on the enemies position. Passive sensors and sonar gave a direction based on sound and of course if the enemy turned their sonar on.
Once a torpedoe was fired you guide it to the target manually or switch it to auto. It is possible to hide in the ice berg depths on the test map.
Damage modelling was in and so was the ability to repair some damage.
Countermeasures were available as are noisemakers. Towed sonar array I think... I launched it but as I only had two games I don't know if it was towed or just launched. I think torpedoes could be set to active sonar as well?

The only surface ships in were AI targets that I did not see and probably never would have. The objective was to hold one of the objective markers until your vertical launch tubes flooded and opened allowing you to launch missiles out of the water. I think the idea is that these missiles then hit the enemy ships first?

All in all the game mode is strange because submarines in 3rd person don't make much sense to me and submarine vs submarine combat also seems like it could use some fleshing out. Needs AI or player controlled surface ships and aircraft. Perhaps attack subs as well as the big nuclear suckers. I only saw the HMS Vanguard. Still the whole thing seemed to be a simple proof of concept test.

From what I saw this was part of the normal war thunder client and not completely separate..

The keys

Me running into an iceberg. Controls especially for up and down take some getting used to.

Surfaced

Going active while following friendlies

They are preparing to launch. Oh nose.

A little detail below the water

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"