Surviving Mars (merged threads)

Started by steve58, May 12, 2017, 10:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

I was always wondering why Marvin looked like he was wearing a tutu as opposed to a the more conventional Pteruges (hoping I spelled that right ?). Static cling maybe ?

Barthheart

So is this any good? I'm interested but CY6 came out at the same time and only so much gaming budget....

bbmike

Not too far into it, but if you like builder games I think so. Like other Paradox games I believe it will only get better with time.

Quill has a pretty good tutorial.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MikeGER

Quote from: Barthheart on March 16, 2018, 08:36:25 AM
So is this any good? I'm interested but CY6 came out at the same time and only so much gaming budget....

in my case it was the other way around i got SM and postponed CY6  ^-^

i was able to play yesterday and suddenly it was already 11:30 pm ...Upps!  ...and then i still had to force me to save and exit. which is a good sign, i think its called 'i got into the flow' 
(started as Europe with a Futurist commander and chose a difficult terrain near Olympus Mons, not one of the  preset spots. you can chose the spot on Mars freely and it gives an estimate what to expect in resources and dangers and the terrain structure)

the best thing to do for Grogs on the fence is watch a good Let's Play
beside DasTactic i also watched some off this series

that guy tries to play the hardest possible choice 

Barthheart

No offence' but I hate watching Let's Plays... I want youse guys opinion who I've come to know and trust. Plus I don't want to lose the sense of discovery if I do end up buying it... which with this game's subject matter and game style I have no doubt I'll pick up sooner rather than later... :P

Jarhead0331

I'll be honest...it didn't grab me right away because I struggled to figure out what to do. While there seems to be some tips, there is no true tutorial, as I'd expect when starting a new game and the mechanics and UI was less than intuitive to me.

Its true, I was a little distracted with some other things, so I didn't focus and really explore...but a game like this should just flow and for me, it didn't.

I'm not saying I don't like it, only that it wasn't as easy to jump into as I thought it should have been.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

^I agree with that. You can't just jump in and start playing, at least I couldn't. I had to watch Quill's videos to get the basic idea. Once you start figuring out how to play you slowly get dragged in.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

salazarus

I think it is not worth the money now. It needs some polishing and maybe one or two dlc. Lack of tutorial is a big minus because  UI isn't very intuitive and hits aren't helpful. For example if you want to move drones from one drone station to another you have to do this one by one, because you can select only one. It will be very annoying if you want to move larger numbers of them. I was annoyed after moving
only 10. Feedback from game also isn't very good. You will get message that people are starving, but game won't tell you why. I don't know how many grocery shops or restaurants you need for your colony. I've got one man starving in my colony so I've added extra worker to my grocery. It didn't change anything. I had to build restaurant. There is a lot of similar quirks that can be very annoying in long run.

Barthheart

Thanks all, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I can wait a bit to see if it develops.

RedArgo

I played for a couple hours last night.  I did enjoy it, but I can see where the lack of a tutorial may be an issue.  I'd watched a few previews, so I had some idea of what to do, but I'm sure I'm missing stuff too.

JudgeDredd

Any update on this game? What's it like?
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

i logged in 75h  ...a statement in its own, isn't it 

played it a lot on Easter holidays  ....so i think i got my Euros worth in entertainment

i followed the advice of some previewers and started with a higher difficulty ( 225 %)
because if you unlock everything in easy and have seen it all, you probably don't start it on higher difficulty again.
even so the techtree entries get shuffled (or filled from a bigger pool? IIRC, there was a tech in a preview that made persons working in mines not necessary any more ...but i never got that tech? and i unlocked everything in my game!)
so every individual game is different and the same approach might not be possible in a replay even in the same location

in the meantime i have the whole tech tree explored and have 4 wonders build, above 500 people on Mars ...and now dealing with "the sphere" i discovered many sols before, but i didn't dared to awake it then...not without a stable colony and lots of resources first ;)

as a Tutorial, and before purchase, i recommend to watch a Let's play a little.