Anyone playing ...Factorio?

Started by Jarhead0331, February 26, 2016, 10:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 08, 2016, 03:35:44 PM
You're too kind, Bob me old china!  I even forgot to cut the bit where I quit to desktop at the end! :D

Did it convince you that you need this game? ;)

I'm definitely possibly interested.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

jamus34

OK so after playing the hell out of the demo and seeing it hit Steam I jumped on it (along with Stardew Valley)

The amount of things to build in Factorio is really mind blowing. Managed about 3 hours this weekend but I'll probably double that tonight.
Insert witty comment here.

DennisS

Quote from: jamus34 on March 14, 2016, 07:51:19 AM
OK so after playing the hell out of the demo and seeing it hit Steam I jumped on it (along with Stardew Valley)

The amount of things to build in Factorio is really mind blowing. Managed about 3 hours this weekend but I'll probably double that tonight.

Yep, Stardew Valley for light work, then on to Factorio to get the life crushed out of me.

Let me see..this is where I am at. Completed first three tutorials, check. Started sandbox game, and somehow managed to get a boiler, steam engine, and electric lines all hooked up and running. Created two research labs, and got both red and green research completed!!

At this point, I have unlocked a crap-ton of stuff, stuff that I cannot come close to building. Next up is linking up two products to create a third, automatically. I can see electronic circuits next up!

Great game, and the learning curve is not unsurmountable. I suck at these kind of games, and haven't hit the wall yet.

sandman2575

Pretty damn impressive that Factorio still has a 99% Positive rating on Steam after over 4,500 reviews....

DennisS

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 14, 2016, 02:44:06 PM
Pretty damn impressive that Factorio still has a 99% Positive rating on Steam after over 4,500 reviews....

Yes it is. I bought Stardock Valley due to the 95% rating. Hell..I will buy ANY game I am remotely interested in, if the sample size is significant, and it's over 90%.

jamus34

Quote from: DennisS on March 14, 2016, 02:42:20 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on March 14, 2016, 07:51:19 AM

Yep, Stardew Valley for light work, then on to Factorio to get the life crushed out of me.

Let me see..this is where I am at. Completed first three tutorials, check. Started sandbox game, and somehow managed to get a boiler, steam engine, and electric lines all hooked up and running. Created two research labs, and got both red and green research completed!!

At this point, I have unlocked a crap-ton of stuff, stuff that I cannot come close to building. Next up is linking up two products to create a third, automatically. I can see electronic circuits next up!

Great game, and the learning curve is not unsurmountable. I suck at these kind of games, and haven't hit the wall yet.

Dennis, from what I know as long as you have you mining production humming, which sounds like yours is doing pretty good, it is all a matter of constantly setting up ever advanced construction production while trying to not bottleneck any single part.

I set up some guns as I started getting some hostile attention however I am trying to wait for laser towers before going after the nests. I need higher tier energy distribution as wood is my major bottleneck right now which limits my poles

JasonPratt

For comparison's sake, after around 20 hours in FCraft, I have built a coal, copper, tin, and iron mine (and moved the copper mine when the original ran out), and have just now gotten most everything coal powered except for the coal extractor itself.

A very good player could have beaten Factorio about 4 times already. But I think from watching and reading several plays, despite having more stuff to do, Factorio plays faster. (Also I'm on scarce resources and slow conveyors, and that makes a difference certainly.)

To clarify, I'm saying that the ratio to things-done per time-spent is better for Factorio, from what I've seen.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Geezer

Apologies for the thread necro, but is anyone still playing Factorio?  I saw where the price is going up to $30 this month.  Just wondering if the game has legs or whether it gets old quickly.  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Huw the Poo

The last time I played Factorio seriously was more than a year ago, and even then it had enough content for the long haul in my opinion.  There's shitloads of stuff to research, and you can always make your machines more efficient.

Since it's been so long since I played I guess you have to take my advice with a pinch of salt, but I'd bet good money there's more than enough entertainment for 30 of those funny "dollar" things.

(Oh, it's absolutely fantastic in multiplayer too - the cooperative element really adds to it)

Geezer

Thanks for the reply.  Just noticed there is a demo on Steam so I'll go through that now.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

CJReich46

I do know you can even mod the demo, if you need to slow down the game a bit.

I had to do it because I can be a bit slow with things.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Yskonyn

I could probably arrange for a dedicated server for us Groggies for Factorio if there is enough interest.
Let me know.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

I've read that the newest version of the game has heavy weapons that can be built and fielded. Anyone use them yet?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Geezer

Nope.  I ended up buying it, but just getting started with my first game.

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on April 04, 2018, 06:12:39 PM
I've read that the newest version of the game has heavy weapons that can be built and fielded. Anyone use them yet?

yeah saw that too.

Me thinks once I finish some of my current games I needs to jump back into this.