WH Fantasy Orcs vs. LotR Orcs

Started by W8taminute, May 24, 2015, 11:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

I've commented to my wife that I have a lot of sympathy for LotR orcs since (in the movies at least) they seem to be extremely organized, highly disciplined, possessed of great stamina and bravery, and yet so fragile that they often fall to a hobbit throwing small rocks. They in fact usually show more military discipline and organization than do the heroes of the story.

I don't know anything about WH, but I imagine those orcs are somewhat more robust, physically.   

MetalDog

Looks like sadness all around for MD and the Tolkien Orcs. 

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Airborne Rifles

Not necessarily. Like I said, they're highly disciplined and apparently well-trained  :)

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on May 25, 2015, 01:39:10 PM
Not necessarily. Like I said, they're highly disciplined and apparently well-trained  :)

So, they're basically fantasy's version of storm troopers. Well trained, can't shoot, die fast.   ;D

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on May 25, 2015, 01:18:09 PM
The problem here is, which "Orcs" in the Tolkien-verse are you talking about?  Remember there are several...species? sub-species? breeds?...of goblinoids that have appeared over time -- usually due to Evil's various eugenics programs IIRC (although I get the feeling that evolution probably still played its part as well). 

There's your weaker Moria orcs, your stronger Mordor Uruks (plus at least one type of smaller Mordor Orc if memory serves) your average-but-clever goblins of the Misty Mountains, your strong AND clever (but numerically small) Uruk-hai created by Saruman, plus at least one or two other species/breeds/whatever that I'm blanking out on at the moment. 

Which one are you referring to?  Are we taking them all in aggregate and/or as an average?  And if the latter, how does one do that (because hell if I know!)?  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on May 25, 2015, 02:46:25 PM
The problem here is, which "Orcs" in the Tolkien-verse are you talking about?  Remember there are several...species? sub-species? breeds?...of goblinoids that have appeared over time -- usually due to Evil's various eugenics programs IIRC (although I get the feeling that evolution probably still played its part as well). 

Which one are you referring to?  Are we taking them all in aggregate and/or as an average?  And if the latter, how does one do that (because hell if I know!)?  :P

It is the same for Warhammer Orcs.  So probably doesn't matter when you encompass them all.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Martok on May 25, 2015, 02:46:25 PM

There's your weaker Moria orcs, your stronger Mordor Uruks (plus at least one type of smaller Mordor Orc if memory serves) your average-but-clever goblins of the Misty Mountains, your strong AND clever (but numerically small) Uruk-hai created by Saruman, plus at least one or two other species/breeds/whatever that I'm blanking out on at the moment. 

Now we're in the geek zone, we were on the fringe before - but this, both feet, straight in there!!

Proud

Martok

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

MetalDog

I would still contend, Martok, that any Tolkien Orc is an Elf at its base.  Morgoth couldn't create, only pervert.  Sauron or Saruman neither.  So, whatever species are out there, regardless of sub-species, originally came from Elves.

jejo68

Quote from: MetalDog on May 25, 2015, 03:15:51 PM
I would still contend, Martok, that any Tolkien Orc is an Elf at its base.  Morgoth couldn't create, only pervert.  Sauron or Saruman neither.  So, whatever species are out there, regardless of sub-species, originally came from Elves.

A wh orc would pull the arms of a Tolkien orc, and clubber him to to death with them.

MetalDog

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on May 25, 2015, 03:15:51 PM
I don't know, MD.  I follow your logic as far as it goes, but it seems to me that in the process of turning/perverting/whatevering elves into orcs, the creatures lose much of their original virtues -- including/especially those that might aid them in combat. 

As much as it pains me to say it, I suspect the WH Orks probably do have the edge here.  :-\ 

MetalDog

It's ok, my friend.  I am fighting the good fight.  And while Tolkien didn't invent Elves, only the bad ass immortal ones, he did invent Orcs.  No Tolkien Orcs.  No Warhammer Orks.  So, a win for Orcs in the end :)

Staggerwing

You can smell the nerdosterone in this thread before you even enter.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

I never thought I was, "That Guy."  I guess maybe I am  :-[