Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by Pete Dero, October 04, 2019, 12:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Ted

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 05, 2019, 01:30:01 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on November 05, 2019, 12:39:07 PM
Released on PC today.  Anybody playing?  Lots of day 1 performance issues reported on the RDR subreddit, unsurprisingly.

I'm waiting for the Steam release next month.

Ditto, but also nervously eyeing the recommended specs (thank goodness for Steam refund)

Grim.Reaper

Of course bought and downloaded:). Just have to find time to actually play it

Pete Dero

Quote from: Father Ted on November 05, 2019, 01:38:23 PM
Ditto, but also nervously eyeing the recommended specs (thank goodness for Steam refund)

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/red_dead_redemption_2_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,3.html

The majority of modern graphics card will run this game pretty well, but simply not at the heaviest quality settings, that so far is a fact. Probably everybody will need to balance things out a little if you aim for that super image quality, or better playability framerate wise.The big advantage on a PC, of course, remains that image quality is something you can configure, as otherwise, you'd be playing on a console. It's a good looking game at high-quality and at best quality settings. At the best settings in Ultra HD you'll need some serious serious horsepower (pardon the pun) to reach that 60 FPS domain. But here again, please do fiddle and twiddle a little with the image quality settings as these are the conundrum of all complexity. With any reasonably modern graphics card, up-to 1920x1080 really is not an issue, the WQHD domain is easy enough for any modern card to ooze out decent framerates at that Favor performance modus. Memory wise anything starting at 4GB is the minimum alright, with 6GB being a superb choice but really, 8 GB it is the absolute 2019 sweet spot. Aside from a random occasional stutter and some FPS drops the game is playable and enjoyable.

Jarhead0331

My RTX 2080ti with 11GB should shred this, but I'm still most likely going to hold out until it comes out on Steam. I had trouble getting into it on the console...maybe on the PC it will take hold?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

(Ears perk up)

PC release?  Whaaaa?

Gusington

It's out for PC, just not for Steam for another month.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

If you wait for the Steam edition to avoid another layer of DRM you could be out of luck :

A Steam version will reportedly follow in December of this year, though it looks like it too will require the Rockstar Games Launcher, much like how the Grand Theft Auto V PC version was patched to require RGL earlier this year.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/red-dead-redemption-2-launches-on-pc-we-take-a-mosey-through-its-upgrades/

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 06, 2019, 11:22:29 AM
My RTX 2080ti with 11GB should shred this, but I'm still most likely going to hold out until it comes out on Steam. I had trouble getting into it on the console...maybe on the PC it will take hold?

Otherwise, my 1440p gameplay worked with near-max graphics settings at roughly 70fps, which only required a settings downscale of the game's "distant volumetric" settings (which got me nearly 18% of my frames back with zero apparent difference in terms of visuals). Keep that toggle in mind if you're using a system weaker than mine (i7-8770K, RTX 2080 Ti, 32GB of DDR-3000 RAM, SSD drive).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/red-dead-redemption-2-launches-on-pc-we-take-a-mosey-through-its-upgrades/

al_infierno

I bought it through the Rockstar launcher to minimize the number of DRM layers.  So far, haven't been able to launch the game at all.  It gets to the splash screen and crashes at the same spot every time.  Updated drivers and BIOS didn't help.  Buyer beware.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Looks like BitDefender was the issue.  I had added RDR2.exe and the rockstarlauncher.exe and rockstarpatcher.exe to my exceptions for Malwarebytes and Windows Firewall, but forgot about BitDefender.  Now I'm rockin' and rollin' O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Smooth as butter on my Intel i7 6700k, 16 GB RAM, and GTX 1070.  It even alt tabs smoothly  :smitten:

My settings defaulted to mostly high with a few mediums here and there, and the game looks incredible.  I assume I'd need a beefier GPU to get the most out of ultra graphics.

- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Haven't played much, but things working fine for me.  I have BitDefender/Malware Bytes too, didn't have to exclude the game or anything so far...

Gusington

Is it purely a Western, or is it an rpg/action game with some western flavor? Or is it something else entirely?

It isn't like GTA set in the 1890s American West, is it?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd