Halo: The master Chief Collection on Steam!

Started by Jarhead0331, March 13, 2019, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CJReich46

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 13, 2019, 12:37:28 PM
I am likely the only person who never played a halo game so no idea what I have been missing:)  Anything specific about these that set it apart from other games?

Ditto.  I've never played it either.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Jarhead0331

For the most part, it is not a surprise that a lot of guys around here have never played a Halo game...the series was mostly an XBOX exclusive. The original Halo was released on PC several years ago, as have the cross-over RTS games, Halo Wars. However, none of the other titles in the series ever made it to PC..until now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

...um, I feel like I clearly remember my late pupil showing off Halo2 on his system, and he didn't have an XBox... {checking} Oh, good, my memory isn't insane! Released for Windows Vista 2007.

It was one of the launch titles for the execrable Games For Windows DRM scheme (not that I'm against DRM, but that thing was annnoooyyyyinnnggg), as well as being a flagship game for the newly released Windows Vista system, so I don't blame anyone for not remembering it. ;) I usually blank out the existence of GFW, too, when I can!  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

IIRC Creative Assembly released a Halo RTS a while back that was...less than good.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 13, 2019, 12:37:28 PM
I am likely the only person who never played a halo game so no idea what I have been missing:)  Anything specific about these that set it apart from other games?

I never played too. Never had the X-Box.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on March 13, 2019, 05:20:40 PM
IIRC Creative Assembly released a Halo RTS a while back that was...less than good.

Staggerwing

Huh

I just recently ebay'ed up a used original Xbox so I could check out the HALO games from the beginning. Just effing figures the whole series would come to PC just as I did.  >:(

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Well, now you can play The Red Ring of Death instead!  :D >:D

Bardolph

I played the original Halo on PC when it came out and it was reasonably fun. My fondness for the title stems primarily from the fact that it was the engine used for the machinima Red Vs Blue.

Eh... sorry for the long intro? That seems to be new.

al_infierno

It's been several years since I've played or given a shit about Halo, but if there's one way to draw me back in, this is it.  Wow!!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

CJReich46

Quote from: Bardolph on March 13, 2019, 09:30:27 PM
I played the original Halo on PC when it came out and it was reasonably fun. My fondness for the title stems primarily from the fact that it was the engine used for the machinima Red Vs Blue.

Eh... sorry for the long intro? That seems to be new.

Classic.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

JasonPratt

RvB is indeed epic -- farrrrr moreso than the first eps (or even couple of seasons) demonstrate, since back then they were just faffing around for fun on the most boring map in the game (which was part of the joke). I own the first.... five seasons? Maybe eight?... on DVD. I don't think I ever got much past season 4, and forgot to ever go back to finish out, but I've been thinking of doing so occasionally over the past few months. And that was BEFORE the Halo collected series release was announced for PC!

Yes, the overly long intro is kind-of new: I think it was introduced for the DVD, where it (or a variation) starts whole sequences of episodes. Not (if I recall correctly) each episode. (Many of the characters in the intro, I don't even recall being introduced in Season One.)

JasonPratt

Holy moly, they're up to SEASON SIXTEEN now?!? (As of 4 days ago.)

........this is the weirdest thing to ever feel old about...  :'(