Rick and Morty

Started by BanzaiCat, January 26, 2018, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I've heard of an animated show called Rick and Morty for some time. It's often referred to in the world of memes through various sites that post them. I thought it was a kids' animated show...you know, like a Nickelodeon cartoon or something. I asked my son about it once and he got a look on his face and said something like, oh, no, that's Adult Swim. That is NOT a kid's cartoon.

I tuned one in and now after having seen five of them over the course of the last couple of months, this is one of the most f'd up cartoons I've ever seen from Adult Swim/Cartoon Network. Even so, it's actually pretty damned funny. It's about a kid (Morty) and his grandfather (Rick) that live in a house with Morty's parents (the mother is Rick's daughter). Morty calls his grandfather Rick all the time. Rick is a drunk and a mad scientist that drags Morty along on adventures. It can be gross, the language in the uncensored versions can be severe at times (but they're not dropping these bombs throughout each episode), but the writing and dialogue is actually very entertaining.

I wish there were some clips where I could concisely demonstrate this show's twisted, mind-boggling humor, and I might have found a few. S1E5 is called "Meeseeks and Destroy." In this one, the family (Morty's dad, mother, and sister, whom I forgot to mention) are all wanting help with things that Rick doesn't have time for. So he hands over this little box that generates blue Gumby-like people whose only purpose is to help with a simple task, then disappear.

The thing is, the dad is SO bad at golf that his Meeseeks can't help him, so it generates another Meeseeks for help. And on, and on, and on. These things are only supposed to exist for a few seconds, and his crappy golf game keeps them around for far longer than they should - and they go a bit nuts. They had a crowd at the house and the wife's Meeseeks convinced her she needs to leave the dad, so last minute he takes her to dinner at a nice restaurant. The Meeseeks left at home start fighting each other (they look beat up in the next clip because of this), but can't kill each other since they cannot 'die' without fulfilling the original command. So they decide they need to kill the dad, and the mob of them finds the restaurant and charges in, intent on murder. The dad and mother run into the kitchen freezer to take shelter, so the Meeseeks takes several people hostage. (Sorry for the exposition, but it'll make a tad more sense this way. Maybe.)

It's one of the most engagingly weird shows I've ever seen, and that's saying something. :)

Considering the weird senses of humor around here, I thought some of you might like looking into this.

Dammit Carl!

Rick and Morty is awesome, but man it gets dark real quick and real often sometimes (but in amusing ways).  It was pretty much loved by all the guys when I was overseas last year.