The Flash (Netflix)

Started by BanzaiCat, October 13, 2015, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I managed to get parts of Episode 1 in over the last several days and tonight's the first time I've actually sat down to watch an entire episode (number 2). This is a great show so far - lots of fun, good acting, good background/origin story. MUCH better than the abortion that CBS did back in the day.

mirth

Cool. I'll need something to watch once I finish up with Narcos.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

How well does it dovetail with Arrow? I've been thinking of starting that one as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

The Flash, Arrow. It's like Star and I started producing TV shows.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I know they're in the same universe. The Arrow shows up in episode 1 of The Flash. It's a brief but cool cameo. I'll have to go back and watch Arrow again - I had stopped about halfway through that first season. I wonder if Flash shows up in Arrow now.

Nefaro

I've practically forced myself to slog through a large chunk of the first Arrow season.

As with many superhero tv series, and most of DC's heroes, it's chock full of supercheese.  :-\  The only reason I've watched so many episodes is the couple mystery sub-plots and I'm caught up on most of the other series I'd been watching. 

The runny cheesiness in Arrow now outweighs my curiosity about the finer plot points they have secreted away.  The Netflix Daredevil series it is not.

Hopefully the Flash series is a bit more to my liking, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.  Because... DC.  The only ones of theirs I'd look forward to would just be Constantine, Jonah Hex, and maybe one other.  Predictably, the morons at NBC cancelled Constantine after only one season.   ::)

BanzaiCat

The Flash is pretty good, but there are some plot contrivances I can see possibly coming from a mile away. I'm holding out final judgement to see if they choose to go in the direction I think they're going to go, and if they do, that'll tank my interest in this one.

JasonPratt

I won't spoil any of the plot twists (Season Two is already running on broadcast CW), but I'll say that overall I think the Flash production team (directors, writers, actors, sfx, music, etc.) are far more competent than for Arrow. I watch A because I enjoy the stabs at DC continuity, and because it's a better Batman show than Gotham. (A lot of Ollie's rogue gallery in the series come from Batman more prominently, including one of B's top two or three enemies for Season 3.)

Yes, Flash and Arrow crossover a few times each. I've got the Blus for the past season of each, and I don't know whether the sets each include both parts of the most important (and rather early) crossover. They each play a key supporting role in the season finales, too; Flash more importantly to Arrow than vice versa, to be honest.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

I haven't watched Gotham yet. I take it Gotham is a prequel with no superheroes?

JasonPratt

And too many supervillains being introduced too early. But not being really supervillains yet, you understand.

It just frankly has structural problems out the wazoo.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!