Main Menu

Monitor

Started by OJsDad, November 19, 2017, 02:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Looking to upgrade my monitor, and was wanting to see what you guys think.

This one is on sale at Best Buy.  Looks like it has good reviews both on BB and Newegg.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-ue590-series-28-led-4k-uhd-monitor-black/5484022.p?skuId=5484022

This one is going on sale for Black Friday for under $300.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009769&Tpk=24-009-769
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Greybriar

The monitors on my previous two systems (Windows Vista and Windows 7) were Acers and I haven't had any problem with them since the day I purchased them. They both had a 5 ms Response Time (the monitor I am currently using has a 2 ms Response Time) while the two you linked to each has a 1 ms Response Time. Nice! The PC I am currently using and the one previous to it both had Recommended Resolutions of 1920 x 1080 while the two you linked to were 2560 x 1440 and 3840 x 2160, for whatever that's worth.

And with that, I'll let someone more knowledgeable comment. Good luck with your new monitor, whichever one you decide to buy.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

Thanks Greybriar,

My current monitor is an Acer, have had it for 8 years and is as good today as when I got it. 

The pluses I see for the Acer are the refresh rate and that it's frameless.  Though the last point only matter is I ever get a second monitor.

The Samsung has the higher resolution though. 

My wife really likes the Curved screens, but I'm not sure I would like it.  Anyone have one for gaming and have an opinion.   
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

jamus34

Personally I'm not big on the curved either but they make more sense as a monitor rather than a tv as monitors are typically single viewer screens vs a tv where you may have people watching off axis
Insert witty comment here.

bbmike

I'm looking at the ASUS Designo MX27AQ 27" on Amazon right now. $419, but I have a few gift cards.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

bbmike

:o I may have to jump on that!!!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

I would like to get a monitor with nvidia n-sync, but those are $600+.  I dont think I'd get the full use out of it.

bbmike

OJsDad, did you ever get a new monitor? I'm still looking for a  good 27" monitor and still leaning towards that ASUS I linked to above.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

I haven't done anything yet on a new monitor.  May be a couple of months before I do.

I did a new 24" monitor for work.  I brought it up from the work desk in the basement to she what I thought of it for gaming.  It was nice.  I'm wondering if I should just 27".  Just not sure. 

OJsDad

Greybriar

Congratulations! May it give you many, many hours of visually stunning enjoyment. O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

Thanks Greybriar.  So far, it's excellent.  Lots more screen space with Stellaris.  Daughter really loves it with Fortnite.  I even fired up Battle: Los Angeles on Blue Ray, and it looks great. 

bbmike

I just received my new Dell UltraSharp 27 InfinityEdge Monitor and it is awesome! The thing I like about it the most so far is Vassal is awesome on a large screen.  :D
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

Excellent Mike.  What size of monitor did you have before