Notre Dame Cathedral burning

Started by JasonPratt, April 15, 2019, 06:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Lots of damage across the whole structure, but largely confined (as might be expected) to the upper floors which are more wood than stone.

All relics and treasures, plus most of the art, reported to be saved. Initial reports are the fire was kept cool enough that the basic structure could still be good.

Fire started in an attic. Causes unknown, but most likely an accident by the current renovators (or connected to the renovation).

General extent of the damage. The tall thin tower in the middle went up like a torch, collapsed before sundown.

The altar stands!

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

A historical tragedy.

But, also, it'll unite France to commit to a rebuild far more than their halfhearted renovation that possibly led to the tragedy. 

The important parts still stand, and they'll rebuild it.   It'll stand for another thousand years.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

RommelFox

Thankfully that vaulted ceiling held up under the immense weight and heat.

JMJ
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Anguille

Someone's really need to have a good insurance police....

Pete Dero

I'm surprised there is anything left from the interior after watching the fire yesterday evening (local time).

jomni

Ubisoft donates. AC Unity free to play. Some say the game's Notre-Dame can be used a blueprint for reconstruction.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/17/notre-dame-fire-apple-ubisoft-assassins-creed-unity/?sr_source=Facebook

airboy

Quote from: RommelFox on April 16, 2019, 01:56:01 AM

JMJ

I saw a aerial photograph today showing that most of the roof/ceilings in the building have been destroyed and the interior is open to the elements.  It seems that the walls and the two end towers all stand, but the roofs are gone.  Am I missing something or did you comment before the smoke cleared?  I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like almost all of the ceilings/roof is gone.

Barthheart

Quote from: airboy on April 18, 2019, 08:35:03 AM
Quote from: RommelFox on April 16, 2019, 01:56:01 AM

JMJ

I saw a aerial photograph today showing that most of the roof/ceilings in the building have been destroyed and the interior is open to the elements.  It seems that the walls and the two end towers all stand, but the roofs are gone.  Am I missing something or did you comment before the smoke cleared?  I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like almost all of the ceilings/roof is gone.

I think that the rooves are gone but most of the ceilings are still intact. Some video I saw seemed to show that one ceiling had collapsed, maybe the one hit by the falling spire. Most of the rest of the interior seemed to be shrouded in darkness.
The rooves were entirely wooden structures but it looked, to me on grainy video, that the ceiling were mostly stone/brick/tile of some kind. And while some individual pieces had fallen out, they were mostly intact.

airboy

Bathhart - I studied castle and cathedral construction in College.  My wife and I also climbed to the top of Salisbury Cathedral in England about 10 years ago.

The roofs in these buildings are the trunks and first branches of incredibly old trees - usually oak.  Those timbers have been there for a thousand years for Notre Dame.  They seem to have caught fire and all burned away.  That killed the upper roof structure.

The first ceilings are vaulted and made of fairly light stone.  You may be right that most of those survived - I cannot tell from this photograph which is the best one I could find.

steve58

Found this before/after satellite photo:

(left is the cathedral in September 2018;  right is April 17, 2019)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on April 18, 2019, 07:37:27 AM
Ubisoft donates. AC Unity free to play. Some say the game's Notre-Dame can be used a blueprint for reconstruction.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/17/notre-dame-fire-apple-ubisoft-assassins-creed-unity/?sr_source=Facebook

Very classy move by ubisoft...I'd say it will be pretty sad if they need to use a video game as a blueprint for reconstruction. Its sort of like the military using the back of a paper restaurant table setting as a map to navigate.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DoctorQuest

Quote from: steve58 on April 18, 2019, 09:34:31 AM
Found this before/after satellite photo:

(left is the cathedral in September 2018;  right is April 17, 2019)

I'm impressed how much of the structure is intact. That being said, I am not sure how much of the remaining structure was weakened by the fire. Good find, Steve!
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JasonPratt

It does come with the inherent drawback of having to use Uplay...  >:D

But often their games are worth it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

I played through the Notre Dame missions of Unity and they are very detailed. Closest I've been to the real thing yet!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

A quick but nicely produced mini-doc on the cathedral by Invictus (a Total War channel gamer whom many of us appreciate for using TW engines in detailed documentaries over the years):

No game footage was used for this video, btw.