Another Russian tank movie coming our way. Now we have T34 and Indestructable.

Started by Destraex, August 24, 2018, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Another Russian tank movie coming our way. Now we have T34 and Indestructable. This one seems to have the famous Russian female tank crews?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

i recently read an article about the Battle of Stalingrad that noted at one point tanks were literally rolling out of the factory straight into battle. Several corners were cut to get these tanks rolling out of the assembly and into the field, like not equipping the main guns with sights. The tank gunner would literally spot aim down the barrel by looking through it before loading the shell. Amazing. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

^I've even heard of some of those tanks going into battle with just their hull MGs because there were no turrets ready in time. They rolled out the factory door and down into the contested streets while nearby Soviet soldiers hopped on and used the turret ring openings as mobile fox holes.
Might be apocryphal but sure sounds ballsy.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

bbmike

What's with all the Russian tank movies? Are they trying to boost morale for...something?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Quote from: bbmike on August 24, 2018, 08:27:03 PM
What's with all the Russian tank movies? Are they trying to boost morale for...something?

Rodina Novo is needing bigger front yard. Also more back yard and maybe pool with not so cold water.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Sir Slash

Maybe Putin's trying to get everyone nostalgic for the good old days of the Stalin purges.  <:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Jar I remember the same stories. I also remember that the welding was so bad on some T34s that their were holes between the metal armour sheets letting the cold air in. I also remember that the gear boxes were a bastard to use in some cases. They did not care about quality but numbers.

I disagree about the tanks being great btw. The MKIVs look to be the ones used in the 2013 version of stalingrad. They look like T55s mocked up to look like MKIVs which is really disappointing.

Here are the mkIVs from the stalingrad 2013 movie. Pretty sure these are the same. Look at the road wheels.

A pic of a proper panzer mkiv for comparison

T55 Tank

Staggerwing

Well, it's not like there are a heap of real PzK IVs in running condition kicking around out there waiting to star in war movies. As well, pretty much all the Tiger Is in movies for the last 30-odd years are also converted T-34/85s and T55s. Next time you watch SPR or Kelly's Heroes you may notice that the Tigers' turrets are set a little bit too far forward.

Destraex

al_infierno

I checked out T-34 last night, but it was dubbed in goofy American-accented English which kinda ruined the experience.  OK movie.  The first 1/3 of the movie was pretty cool, but once it skips to 1944 and gets into the Hitler Jugend Division stuff I found it a bit boring and goofy, regardless of what language was being spoken.  The CGI effects in the tank battles were fuckin' cool though.  I ended up turning it off before the end though, it was almost 3 hours long.

Haven't checked out Indestructible yet.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao