RIP Kieth Jackson - the voice of college football

Started by bayonetbrant, January 13, 2018, 11:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22076254/legendary-broadcaster-keith-jackson-dies-age-89

QuoteKeith Jackson, who was widely regarded as the voice of college football by several generations, died late Friday night, his family said. He was 89.

Jackson, who retired in 2006, spent some 50 years calling the action in a folksy, down-to-earth manner that made him one of the most popular play-by-play personalities in the business.

"For generations of fans, Keith Jackson was college football," said Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. "When you heard his voice, you knew it was a big game. Keith was a true gentleman and memorable presence. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, Turi Ann, and his family."

Jackson got his start on the radio in 1952, broadcasting Washington State games, but went on to provide the national television soundtrack for the biggest games in the most storied stadiums. His colorful expressions -- "Whoa, Nellie," and "Big Uglies," among the many -- became part of the college football lexicon.

He was credited with nicknaming the Rose Bowl "The Granddaddy of Them All" and Michigan's stadium "The Big House."

Jackson began calling college football games for ABC Sports when it acquired the broadcast rights for NCAA football in 1966. He also worked NFL and NBA games, numerous World Series, 10 Olympics and auto racing. In addition, he traveled to 31 countries for "Wide World of Sports."

https://twitter.com/MarcusAllenHOF/status/952209582163599362
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Heard about that around lunch time today.  The voice of college football.  RIP.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

Everyone who watched College Football from the 60s - the 00s will remember that voice.  It was always about the game and the teams and never himself.  He let the game write the script once the game got going.  Many modern announcers have a script that they want to stick to even when the game does not cooperate.

Sir Slash

A great announcer who really loved the sports he covered AND knew facts inside and out. He made me come to love and appreciate College Football when I was a teenager. And he called the very first Monday Night Football. I can't remember who played, but I remember he was there. That kind of professional. I'll miss you Mr. Jackson.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.