The Lordz Games Studio strikes a licence deal on Check Your 6!

Started by Lord Zimoa, February 01, 2016, 06:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I think there's some of that baked into the CY6 campaign system already. If not it could be easily added in without changing the basic nature of the game. Honestly, I haven't done much for campaigns in CY6 and have only given the campaign system/rules a cursory look. Most of the play I've done is single battles/scenarios.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Boggit

Quote from: bobarossa on February 02, 2016, 04:24:33 PM
So we're talking an Achtung Spitfire/Over the Reich type of game?  If so, I'm in!
They were both great back in the day, and bringing them up to date is Loooong overdue. I've not played CY6, but perhaps this is what CY6 will do? I hope so. Will there be long campaigns in the game to follow a squadron over the length of a war/tour of duty?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Silent Disapproval Robot

Any screenshots?  Will it be fully 3D with detailed models you can manipulate?

Lord Zimoa

Too early guys, we have almost finished all game features, all rules, the multiplayer system, so basically the core game. We just started working on the shiny stuff... but be sure I will keep you updated.

Nefaro

We neeeeds it.

I hope you code monkeys are making good progress on this. 

Because TAKE MY MONEY!

(I had busted out my CY6! Jet Age and Star And Pyramid expansion in preparation for painting some of my Vietnam, Arab-Israeli, and Falkland era minis.  Which reminded me to come interrogate inquire how it goes.)

acctingman

Quote from: Nefaro on August 02, 2016, 04:47:20 AM
We neeeeds it.

Because TAKE MY MONEY!

(I had busted out my CY6! Jet Age and Star And Pyramid expansion in preparation for painting some of my Vietnam, Arab-Israeli, and Falkland era minis.  Which reminded me to come interrogate inquire how it goes.)

I can't +1 this one enough O0

mirth

Quote from: acctingman on August 02, 2016, 08:31:12 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 02, 2016, 04:47:20 AM
We neeeeds it.

Because TAKE MY MONEY!

I can't +1 this one enough O0

+2
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

JudgeDredd

Two things....

• This sounds like it's one of those boardgame conversions that require the tactile aspect of boardgameing. In other words, watching the video from a previous post, I'm not sure this can be translated into a successful computer game
  • Having said that - my second point is, hasn't this been done before in other versions? Sid Meyer did a WWI (and II?) game like this and there was a game called Spitfires! wasn't there? IIRC, they weren't bad, but lost their appeal fairly quickly

Just saying - boardgames are very, very hard to convert to PC whilst keeping the love of the boardgame in place for the player.
Alba gu' brath

acctingman

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 16, 2016, 01:39:34 AM
Two things....

• This sounds like it's one of those boardgame conversions that require the tactile aspect of boardgameing. In other words, watching the video from a previous post, I'm not sure this can be translated into a successful computer game
  • Having said that - my second point is, hasn't this been done before in other versions? Sid Meyer did a WWI (and II?) game like this and there was a game called Spitfires! wasn't there? IIRC, they weren't bad, but lost their appeal fairly quickly

Just saying - boardgames are very, very hard to convert to PC whilst keeping the love of the boardgame in place for the player.

There are video's of this game out?  :uglystupid2:

JudgeDredd

No - sorry. There's a video on youtube linked in this thread (one page back I think) which shows the mechanics from people playing the board game
Alba gu' brath

RyanE

To me, these conversions are for people who already know the game and have always wanted to be able to play it at will, regardless if home or on an airplane.  I think that is why they have limited appeal.  They sell some, probably max the market out at how many people bought the boardgame.

JudgeDredd

I view it entirely differently - which is what I was trying to say in my previous post.

I mean sure - the appeal to board gamers to pick up a digital version of the game is very compelling to the point where it's entirely likely almost every gamer who enjoyed the game on the board will likely buy it - but the transition from board game to computer game leaves me as a boardgamer cold.

I put that down to the boardgames having so much more to do - the die rolls, the checking of rules, the cards and not least of all the tactile aspect of physical touch - and whilst every boardgamer "craves" for all that to be dealt with by a computer - ultimately I think it leaves some (certainly me) feeling that it did not transition well to computer game.

Perhaps there's an aspect of complexity that may help (for example WitP is extremely popular and that was a boardgame I believe).

I'm not clubbing all boardgamers in here...I can't speak for everyone. But I certainly have not adjusted well to a boardgame that I have owned being put onto the computer with one exception - Heroes of Stalingrad. Conflict of Heroes I did not enjoy. Phantom Leader just seemed pointless and the reason was because you had pretty much not a lot to do but click a mouse and "accept" events.

I summary I suppose they can be done and done well but in my limited experience of boardgames being converted to computer games, only 1/3rd made it successfully imo.

Just my take on conversions.
Alba gu' brath

RyanE

WitP wasn't a board game conversion.  GG designed that based on his older WitP game from the early 90's.  That is my memory of it.

GJK

JD has it right; boardgamers are used to (and expect) to roll their own dice and to consult charts and actually apply the results- and to know (intimately) the game that they are playing.  When you take that type of game and have a computer doing all of that for you; it kills the game.  Boardgames aren't simulations; they are games.  You can't put tons of calculations and detail into something that you expect humans to work out but that's the fun of it.  We like to roll dice and look at the chart and apply the results.  Computer games (simulations) are different- they take the complex and work out all the angles, factors and modifiers and work it all out for the player and then present a nice 2D/3D model of the results.  And they can click on to the next combat and resolve it all again almost without thinking.  It's a related but very different way to "wargame" and both have their merits. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer