Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 10, 2013, 01:19:35 PM
Huw the Poo: wins with the Ashen Empire (unless maybe Bogarus can stop him).  ;D

Haha!  Trust me, you could give me nukes in turn 1 and I'd still find a way to lose!

byrdman57

I'd like a little breathing room as well; 2 spaces to myself sounds about right.

parone

thanks for all the work jason pratt.  any of those non wrap fantasy maps with less provinces than cradle look good to me.

personally, i always liked hyperboria(big conan fan, but never played the map), and just finished the 'thrones' books, so westeros looks cool.

but since you did the legwork, i think you ought to get to choose.

LA Ermor...uh oh

Phobos

I am not too fussy about map size.  More breathing room will allow for more potential blood magic on my part, but I would be OK with a more cramped empire.

The only think I want on the map is something that is nice to look at.  The style of Cradle of Dominions is good, I just think it's a bit big for our purposes.

Here is a fantasy map I saw on Llamaserver, for 9 land nations.  100 land provinces and 13 water.

Download link

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost.php?p=795451

If that is too small, I could look though some of the user submitted maps on Desura for a few other examples.

Corwin123

Hey all,

Yep, I am good with playing Utgard in LA.  Since I am very new to MP verision of this game I will default to the group on Map choice and size.  Looking forward to the game.  I will say thanks now to everyone for all the questions I will most likely be asking as we go.

JasonPratt

Phobos, does that map have fixed starting positions? Because if someone rolls that island in the upper right, they're either super-protected or super-screwed (or both) -- it doesn't look like a wraparound.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Phobos

The map I linked does have fixed start sites, but I can't tell you how balanced they are.

I'm happy to defer to any other map choice.

undercovergeek

it certainly looks pretty

i may change from Ulm - just reading up on a few other untaken ones at the mo

Yskonyn

I agree, with the work Jason has put in, let's give him the veto on the map. :D
So, Jason, you call it, I'll update it. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Hmmm....

Well, I do like the look of the one Phobos gave (which is from "Dragon Age", by the way), and depending on where the starts are it should give us almost 1 and a half steps of territory.

On the other hand, everyone else seems to like the notion of at least two free steps. And when we're sending out multiple armies a few turns into the game, if we're too close to one another we could effectively punch someone out of the game fast with one early fight.

On yet the other hand, Phobos has a point about taking a while to explore even only 18 surrounding territories (a two step radius); that's two weeks on a one-day turnaround, and this game could sometimes go as long as five days turnaround.

May I suggest an Urraparrand map as a compromise?

At 145 lands, it gives 9 players (on average) a full step in all directions and a second step in three of four directions (1.75 steps, or a little more actually), on an attractive map conversion. The original version increases all funding by 150%, too. I'm pretty sure it's at least E/W wraparound, probably N/S, too (after all the name is a nod to the torus shape!)

For a more traditionally Dom3 generated map:

This one, the Plain of Rusty Nails, is very popular on the Llamaserver; still a little more than 1.75 radius steps at 143 lands. Several versions of this, including by other names such as Allforone. Some aren't downloadable (wth???), but there's one with 9 fixed starts (each with at least four adjacent territories and at least four steps from neighboring capitols). It's a wraparound map for sure, but I expect Ysk can tweak that if people don't want it. Here's the download for that one: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost.php?p=810394
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

undercovergeek

Yskonyn

I have no clue wether I can tweak a map to be wraparound or not. I always thought there were two versions in that case; one with and one without.

If this can be done within the game then I am sure I can find it.

I generally get lost quickly on wraparound maps, so like Undercovergeek, I would prefer a normal map.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

I expect it can be tweaked in the mapfile somewhere if not in the game engine itself. You'd have to re-upload it, of course, if tweaking the mapfile is necessary. I'll try to look into the options this afternoon.

I kind-of prefer wraparounds myself, to minimize corner advantages. But if the majority wants a fixed map, and we can't fix those two, there aren't any other options on the Llamaserver already of that size. We'll have to go with something larger or smaller.

JasonPratt

Or we could just go with "Northwest Middle Earth", and pick up an extra territory each compared to the "Dragon Age" map, and be done with it.  ;D

That would lean more toward addressing Phobos' proper concern about moving the game along, than the more medium position I suggested. I can still check this afternoon whether the 143/45 land maps can be locked, though.