Main Menu

Call to Arms

Started by Jarhead0331, August 08, 2015, 04:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Anyone else pick this up? Its basically Men of War Assault Squad set in modern times. Its in early alpha and has two basic factions. USA and a fictitious Arabic opfor that uses a mix of insurgent and conventional forces. So far, it is more of the same awesomeness that is MoW AS. Check it out!

Here are some shots I pulled from the web. I'll take some of my own later tonight or tomorrow.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

undercovergeek

is it the steam sir?

or is it from dev only

Toonces

Those graphics look fantastic.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 08, 2015, 07:10:34 PM
is it the steam sir?

or is it from dev only

Yes. Available on early access. $19.99 for the standard edition and $29.99 for deluxe. With deluxe, you get early access to the single player campaign which is a WIP. There is also a map and mission editor and quite a fair bit of user generated content already.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Apocalypse 31

I'm keeping my eye on this one.

I actually purchased the regular version but refunded it with the intention of buying the deluxe. I ended up not buying the deluxe version, but I most likely will.

Combat is much faster paced due to the modern firepower.
I think the direct-control camera is much better (now tethered to the unit you are directly controlling)
I THINK squads will automatically transfer ammo.

My biggest concern is map size and realistic weapon ranges. The MoW engine is limited in map size, and I have a feeling the weapons ranges will be scaled down dramatically.

It made me want to play Combat Mission Shock Force.

Jarhead0331

FWIW, so far I'm really enjoying it
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2015, 08:36:10 PM

Are you playing the custom missions from SirHeinkel?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on August 11, 2015, 08:42:28 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2015, 08:36:10 PM

Are you playing the custom missions from SirHeinkel?

I've been playing custom missions, but I'm not sure who made them. I'll check.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Boggit

It looks very sexy. Is it a MoW AS mod like the 1914-18 FWW one on Steam?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

RyanE

As was previously posted earlier, I am curious about weapon ranges and effects.  I never picked up Assault Squad because I couldn't stand that they nerfed ranges to fit maps.  As was said, every time I thought about buying it, I went and played CM2 instead.

So are ranges nerfed and if so, are there mods that reset them?

Jarhead0331

I'm not sure what you mean by ranges "nerfed". Range is not really an issue on any of the maps I've played. They are mostly urban with a mix of some smaller villages and fields. But nothing feels so obviously out of whack that it breaks immersion. It is an RTS after all, so I don't go into it expecting ultra realism. For what it does, it does very well and it improves with every update. A very solid transition from WWII to modern combat.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

RyanE

When I looked into it before, I read that the ranges for weapons were significantly shortened from reality to make maps more interesting.  That both accuracy and effects(penetration) were adjusted to make a more "frenetic" experience.

That just turned me off.  Just wondering it is true.  Not looking for CM-type realism, but would like to know how far it deviates.

RyanE

So after poking around quite bit, I found this thread that seemed to answer my question.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/302670/discussions/0/537405286649498967/

Looks like balance is the name of the game, not realistic combat tactics.  Sure its fun, but I already have games that do that.  I'll skip it.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on August 16, 2015, 11:39:01 AM
So after poking around quite bit, I found this thread that seemed to answer my question.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/302670/discussions/0/537405286649498967/

Looks like balance is the name of the game, not realistic combat tactics.  Sure its fun, but I already have games that do that.  I'll skip it.

Yeah, if you're looking to play combat mission, you're better off playing combat mission.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog