Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erax

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on December 09, 2018, 08:16:53 AM
Whats the costs for games again?

The printed board is misleading on this point, by the way -- it reads 11 for level-2 games, but that's a misprint. (If I ever publicly upload this modded module, I should find a way to fix that... also the 2d6 misprint instead of 3d6 for Combat rolls.)

The levels cost 7, 13, and 18. So the increase is progressively less: 7+6+5.

The results are 1,2,3 added to the sponsoring senator's popularity, and subtracted from unrest.

Only one senator from each Faction can sponsor games per Turn. (He can do other things, too: the same senator can try for a knight, sponsor games, and also try to persuade another senator.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

(Weird... I tried to post, and the forum engine decided I wanted to post a new topic... bugs are not entirely gone from the switch to GoDaddy as host or whoever.)

AzTank mentions by p-mail that he wants to give 2 cash to each senator.

I'm not sure he understood that Spurius Cassius is about to leave the game permanently with all his chits, so since this is a learning game I'm not going to distribute out 2 to Cassius and spuriously waste them.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Tripoli by p-mail distributes 11 to Aurelius, and 7 each to Julius and Manlius.

Erax

Thanks for the recap on costs!

4 to Flaminius, 22 to Plautius (who will spend 18 on games for +3 Pop) and 9 to Calpurnicus who will spend 5 on a guaranteed knight.

This should leave T$ 4 on each senator and T$ 0 in the faction treasury after all expenses.

JasonPratt

That's the last distribution, so I've got some processing to do! Icing/freezing rain here, so power may go out, but on the other hand not much travel so staying in this morning.  :coolsmiley:

JasonPratt

Segment 3, Republic income: 176 current cash; +50 normal income; -2 unit upkeep x 10 Legions = 186 new Republic cash (and a new high watermark  <:-) ).

This ends the Revenue Phase.

JasonPratt

TURN EIGHT -- FORUM PHASE
-------------------------

The Frog's Plutocrats have Appius Claudius as the Roman Consul, thus as the highest ranking available officer, and so start around the table.

Starting from this point, there are 6 Italian Era deck cards remaining. If the first one is black-text, and so plays openly to the Forum, and if it has a white border, that will trigger the start of the Early Provincial Era.

The Plutocrats roll 4+6=10, and the Frog draws a red-text Faction card to his hand. I've sent him a p-mail (and hangout chat direct message) about it.

I'll have to wait until the Frog posts or sends me directions, to continue.

Meanwhile, since that card wasn't an Early Era (white border) card played face up, the next Era has not yet started. From this point on, playing an Early Era Faction card face up will also start the new Era. (I mean if a Player plays a white bordered card from your hand.)

JasonPratt

Acilius pays 5 of his 7 Talents to automatically pick up his first knight. (Plutocrat vote tally goes up to 16.) Fulvius spends all 7 of his Treasury on Sponsoring games: his Pop goes up 1 to 1, and Unrest goes down 1 to 5.

The Aristocrats roll 5+6=11, so draw a Scenario card: the 2nd Samnite War.

This is an Italian Era War (as the orangish border thinly shows, as well as its label), so it does not trigger the Early Provincial Era. It's also the first "Inactive" War drawn in this game!

Inactive Wars will wait around in the background until triggered by various methods, such as the arrival of related later wars, the arrival of an Enemy Leader, or being attacked by the Republic. They don't cost the Republic any ongoing cash until they go Active.

In case you are wondering, we have not seen the First Samnite War yet. The card's text, toward the bottom, indicates we can expect three Samnite Wars during the game. They will not all go Active all at once, but one War's existence will tend to trigger the coming Activation of subsequent Wars as they arrive on the board. "Related" Wars, in other words wars of a set (like "the Samnite Wars"), are very dangerous as they can escalate beyond the Republic's capacity to fight them.

Meanwhile, I have no instructions from AzTank about what he wants to do with his Forum round, but he didn't distribute enough cash to do much other than try rolling for a knight. (Or he could change his Faction Leader if he wanted.)

So to move the game along I'll send him a chat reminder asking him which senator he wants to roll for a knight, and how much of his 2 Talents to sacrifice toward that, and continue around the board.

JasonPratt

The Populists roll 5+4=9, so draw a card: and there's the 1st Samnite War!

This War starts Active, and any Inactive Matching War (thus the 2nd Samnite War) advances to Immanent. That means during the next Mortality Phase, it'll go Active, too -- and a War's strength is multiplied by how many of its Matching set has gone active. Right now this thing is Force 2, and the 2nd Samnite is Force 5, but if they're both active at once then this will be Force 4 and the 2nd will be Force 10! (And if the 3rd shows up and is able to go active, each War's strength will be x3!)

Still not an Early Era card going face-up, so Italian Era remains.

Aurelius spends all 7 of his cash on Sponsoring Games: Unrest goes down 1 to 4; Aur's Pop goes up 1 to 4. Vote Tally goes up to 12. Junius sacrifices all 3 of his cash on a knight roll, and rolls a 5, so he gets his first minion! Vote tally goes up to 13.

JasonPratt

The Progressives roll snake-eyes, so Erax draws a red-text Faction card face-down to his hand (which now has 4 cards). I've p-mailed him about what he drew.

It won't affect his prior instructions, nor anything else drawn so far, so I'll process those: Plautius will spend 18 on level 3 games, and Calpurnicus will spend 5 on a guaranteed knight (his first minion), leaving 4 on each senator. Unrest goes down 3 to 1. Plaut's Popularity goes up 3 to 3. Normal vote tally goes up to 8.

JasonPratt

I.I.'s Aristocrats roll 1+3=4, so he draws a Scenario card: the 3rd Samnite War!

It also goes Imminent, since there's an Active Matching War already. (If the other 2 were already whomped, this one would start Active.)

(You might also notice that the expansion designer accidentally copy-pasted some of the Samnite graphics over the text instead of vice versa. I didn't catch this so I haven't fixed it, but the text is the same as I can confirm from the printed rules.)

I don't have instructions from I.I., I think, so I'll have to pause here until I receive orders.

IncompetentIdiot

JasonPratt

AzTank lets me know by chat that Papirius sacrifices all 2 of his cash rolling 1d6 for a knight. He needs 4 or better, and rolls a 5! -- gaining his second minion. Normal vote tally goes up to 14.

Valerius of the Aristocrats spends 5 of his 10 cash on his 3rd minion. Normal vote tally up to 14.

Last comes Tripoli's Militarists, and by the process of deduction based on prior information (where I explained how the expansion prologue's rules divided up the Early Era senators), you can be certain what card he'll draw... which he does, rolling a 5+4 = 9, so not a random event! Instead, he draws the final card of the Italian Era, and it's the Sulpician family.

This instantly ends the Italian Era and starts the Early Provincial Era, which I'll technically have to process some results on before I get to Tripoli's instructions.

JasonPratt

All hail the Grogpublic! -- the Republic has survived (with a lot of good luck in Allied donations randomly rolled) into the Early Provincial Era!  <:-)

The BIRTH OF THE REPUBLIC prologue / tutorial Eras haven't quite passed, since all three of the Samnite Wars are on the board, but they have done their job of introducing game concepts at (hopefully) a manageable rate, while creating some variation on how, and in effect when, the main game 'starts'.

But the main game starts now. :coolsmiley:

With some effects which I'll cover as we get to them, and with some immediate effects I'm processing now.