Origins 2018 ~ June 13-17 (Columbus OH)

Started by bayonetbrant, June 21, 2017, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Dumb question.....besides saving a few $$$, is there any real big benefit to pre-register?  I may try and get there this year since only a couple of hours down the road from me, but it would likely be a last minute thing if I did due to some possible work travel I may need to do around that time.  It would likely just be a one day thing for me.

I am not really a board gamer, but thought it might be interesting to browse around.....

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Pre-registering can help you skip the registration lines, but at this point there's no price difference

A one day badge is no biggie and you'll have plenty to see and do :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

GR, I totally second bbmike, DO IT!!!!!!!!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

Origins keeps digging itself deeper on Larry.  This is what they sent to the exhibitors:

Good afternoon Exhibitors,
We are a few weeks away from Origins and the anticipation is building!
Things are looking great for this year's show. The Exhibit Hall is officially sold out and badges are currently trending 15% above pre-registration numbers from 2017.
We have taken a brief hiatus from social media but are fully prepared to continue promoting the show and its exhibitors starting this week. Before we begin communicating through social, there are a few things we wanted to bring to your attention.
Some individuals have rallied online with plans to harass companies exhibiting at the show—this is in response to the disinviting of Larry Correia as a guest at Origins.
To provide you with some background: our original decision to invite Larry as a guest at Origins was simple—he's a successful author, has been a guest at other conventions in previous years, and any one that knows him knows that he is big into gaming.
Unfortunately, we were not aware of Mr. Correia's online presence and following. Upon further research we found an abundance of confrontational discourse and polarizing behavior online.
We have nothing against Larry as a person or as a professional, but we have seen the drama that follows him, and we do not want that at Origins.
As an exhibitor at Origins, we wanted you to be aware of the general MO of the group we are explaining:
Company pages are inundated with comments and negative rankings
Employers and publishers are contacted
Messages with keywords regarding to the show are targeted

Time has passed, and things have calmed down, but we should all still be aware of these potential behaviors. If you receive any threats or libel regarding you or your company, please send them to John Ward.
Thank you for your support. Good luck with the final preparations for the show!

Larry's response can be found at:
http://monsterhunternation.com/2018/05/30/origins-sent-out-yet-another-message-about-me-and-my-response/

airboy

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on June 04, 2018, 08:47:10 PM
Who will be at Origins?

The GH booth crew will include

Me
panzerde
Cyrano (and Mrs) (and Jr)
Sterret (and probably Mrs) (and Jr)
Cap'n Darwn (and probably not Mrs)
BBMike
Streetgang6
rickbill
Orieni
RobertCrandall
IronMikeGolf

As far as just folks stopping by...?

Ardwulf
OJsDad has been at the last few, but not sure about this one
Bayonet Jr is working w/ LNLP again
sounds like GR might make it
BanzaiCat?   :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD (j/k - i needed to tease him about it)

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 06, 2018, 07:56:57 AM
On-site book is out
http://originsgamefair.com/wp-content/uploads/Origins_Sitebook_2018.pdf

So looking at the map layout in that book they've split the gaming areas on either side to the exhibit hall?!? They trying to drive more traffic through the exhibitors? That's nots and going to be a pain when that hall is closed.

You guys are at C205? Generic "War Gamers" again....  :P

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on June 06, 2018, 08:43:51 AM
So looking at the map layout in that book they've split the gaming areas on either side to the exhibit hall?!? They trying to drive more traffic through the exhibitors? That's nots and going to be a pain when that hall is closed.

The middle hall is the largest one, and they wanted to expand to accommodate more exhibitors.  It's not a great idea, but it's the best they can do w/ the convention center rebuild.  One thing the remodeling allows now, that it couldn't do well before, is 2 simultaneous mid-sized conventions is A & C with B as a buffer between them.

Not a big deal for gamers, but a big deal when they've got a farm equipment convention in town at the same time as a big insurance convention or something.

Quote from: Barthheart on June 06, 2018, 08:43:51 AMYou guys are at C205? Generic "War Gamers" again....  :P

Yes, there will be vary angry words this year.  I've tried to be polite and patient about it, but this time, especially after multiple repeated assurances from the GAMA staff, has really pissed me off.

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 06, 2018, 08:01:51 AM
Quote from: airboy on June 04, 2018, 08:47:10 PM
Who will be at Origins?

sounds like GR might make it

GhostRyder RSVP'd?  Bummed I'll be missing this year.

bayonetbrant

Ha.

Grim.Reaper (look up-thread, or we'll post more puns....)

MetalDog

bayonetbrant

http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/18528

QuoteOn the eve of our FIFTH time running the GrogHeads Central Command at Origins, we need to make sure everyone knows where to find us, since we're still not labeled as "GrogHeads" in the site book

We're pretty sure the big blue block behind us is the CABS Board Room, but we can't independently confirm that.

So, come find us at the "War Gamers" area.  Yeah, we know.  We tried to get them to label it right.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus