Railguns

Started by besilarius, March 01, 2012, 08:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Barthheart

QuoteNewly released video shows the prototype railgun using an electric-powered launcher rather than gunpowder to fire a huge hypersonic bullet in a cloud of flame and smoke.

Ummm... maybe it's just me.... but why is there a "cloud of flame and smoke" if there's no gunpowder to fire the projectile?  :o
The whole point of a rail gun is there is no fire and smoke..... :P

Staggerwing

EDIT:

Just found the answer.

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/article/2008-02/navy-tests-32-megajoule-railgun
QuoteOne big question this video begs is, what causes the giant fireball? Rail guns are supposed to be powered solely by electricity, and don't use explosives of any kind for propellant. Babb told PopSci the answer: The flames are from pieces of the projectile disintegrating; the 7-pound slug is jammed so firmly between the rails that when it's fired, pieces shear off and ignite in the air. There's been some speculation online that the flames come from some sort of gas that's been used to increase conductivity. Wrong: The EMRG uses no secondary propellant — just electricity. As a result, the breech can remain open during firing and the gun produces no blowback whatsoever. In fact, the researchers sometimes place cameras and mirrors inside the breech during tests to get a better sense of what's going on.

That flash from the projectile hitting its target is momentary, and the paper on the target isn't burned at all afterward — just ripped and shredded from kinetic damage.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Ah... ok that sounds plausable. Thanks for the link.

MIGMaster

I thought Jarhead got a rail on when he looked at certain guns  ;)

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 01, 2012, 09:25:48 AM
EDIT:

Just found the answer.

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/article/2008-02/navy-tests-32-megajoule-railgun
QuoteOne big question this video begs is, what causes the giant fireball? Rail guns are supposed to be powered solely by electricity, and don't use explosives of any kind for propellant. Babb told PopSci the answer: The flames are from pieces of the projectile disintegrating; the 7-pound slug is jammed so firmly between the rails that when it's fired, pieces shear off and ignite in the air. There's been some speculation online that the flames come from some sort of gas that's been used to increase conductivity. Wrong: The EMRG uses no secondary propellant — just electricity. As a result, the breech can remain open during firing and the gun produces no blowback whatsoever. In fact, the researchers sometimes place cameras and mirrors inside the breech during tests to get a better sense of what's going on.

That flash from the projectile hitting its target is momentary, and the paper on the target isn't burned at all afterward — just ripped and shredded from kinetic damage.

I wonder how much more effective the projectile/weapon would be without this flame-licking friction?
Any time is a good time for pie.

MIGMaster

When you can slam projectiles around that fast explosives become obsolete.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 09, 2012, 12:36:04 PM
I wonder how much more effective the projectile/weapon would be without this flame-licking friction?

Well, there's the rub. As I reach back to what I remember of science in school, friction is inevitable. I suspect great effort has been poured into removing as much friction from a rail gun as possible. Yet it remains there in some form.

Barthheart

Yeah... well... I always pictured rail guns as using maglev technology so there would be no friction. Maglev the projectile then use high frequency modulated magnetic forces to propel the slug out of the gun. I'm puzzled as to why there "needs" to any friction at all..... ???

Centurion40

Quote from: Barthheart on March 09, 2012, 02:26:31 PM
Yeah... well... I always pictured rail guns as using maglev technology so there would be no friction. Maglev the projectile then use high frequency modulated magnetic forces to propel the slug out of the gun. I'm puzzled as to why there "needs" to any friction at all..... ???

'Xactly!

LongBlade

Clearly ya'll need to be on that engineering team.

Centurion40

I'd need to learn how to do math first.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on March 09, 2012, 02:45:12 PM
Clearly ya'll need to be on that engineering team.

Too busy making black holes.... 8)

Martok

Quote from: Barthheart on March 09, 2012, 02:26:31 PM
I always did like the Gauss Rifle in BattleTech.  Took up a ton of space (even more than a PPC), but it was wonderfully long-range, and generated almost no heat! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces