Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I think I might jump in and pre-order this now it's a sensible price - £29.99!  ???

Actually - no I won't. I'm not at all sure my system will run it in any sort of decent frame rate. Shogun 2 really tests my system.
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

I preordered it a few weeks ago at about the same price.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

I was very tempted - but I have seen a few videos and I think my current system will struggle.

I'll be getting a new system next year though.
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

I am trying to remember if I have upgraded just for one game in the past...I think I did for Medieval II Total War.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Well - my system is struggling now - so it wouldn't be for a game. Far Cry 3 seems to be running crappier when I fired it up recently than I recall it doing so. A-10C and Black Shark don't run super smooth anf ArmA III is taxing.

Turning down options in all my games helps - but an upgrade is in order. There are more and more games I'm struggling to run without making them look like the ugliest sister.

A new graphics card would be a nice boost as it is the graphics card which is running full pelt.
Alba gu' brath

GJK

Backup and reload your OS.  It's almost essential to do that with Windows at least every couple of years and I prefer to do it annually.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on June 11, 2013, 06:55:44 AM
I am trying to remember if I have upgraded just for one game in the past...I think I did for Medieval II Total War.

bought my first ever one to play Command and Conquer

upgraded for Half Life

upgraded for Company of Heroes

and now ready to kick some Rome ass

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GJK on June 11, 2013, 07:56:36 AM
Backup and reload your OS.  It's almost essential to do that with Windows at least every couple of years and I prefer to do it annually.
That sounds soooooo painful. What games have online registration and need to be de-activated? What software you've got that you need to rediscover? What game discs and software are in the loft? What saved games are where? What's on the main drive that you need to keep?

I was saving all that pain for my new system I'm just not sure the boost compared to the pain would be worth it tbh
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

Geek you're upgrading for Rome II? My PC will be two years old at release so I should be alright.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on June 11, 2013, 09:23:43 AM
Geek you're upgrading for Rome II? My PC will be two years old at release so I should be alright.

no, i upgraded for it in March - currently enjoying everything on best/highest/ultra until the next gen kick my graphics card over

when i say everything........... Airland Battle and Shogun II and CMBN with everything maxed are probably the biggest hogs, Dom III doesnt really stretch it!

its kind of waiting to unleash itself on Rome II

Sir Slash

I upgraded for RTW and for M2TW and again when CMBN came out. I think I'm good for awhile yet, specs for Rome 2 are within my limits. Has anyone tried the sites where you can join and then play via their systems without needing to upgrade? Seems I heard about a couple that weren't too bad.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 11, 2013, 07:48:50 AM
Well - my system is struggling now - so it wouldn't be for a game. Far Cry 3 seems to be running crappier when I fired it up recently than I recall it doing so. A-10C and Black Shark don't run super smooth anf ArmA III is taxing.

Turning down options in all my games helps - but an upgrade is in order. There are more and more games I'm struggling to run without making them look like the ugliest sister.

A new graphics card would be a nice boost as it is the graphics card which is running full pelt.

Same.  The occasional hitch or fps drop is more noticeable in the DCS titles since I started using the TrackIR.  Thing is.. sometimes a hitch is probably unavoidable when moving your head too fast with it, even with a newer vid card.  Still... I want to upgrade soon.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on June 11, 2013, 06:55:44 AM

I upgraded for CLOD, ARMAIII and Rome II about two months ago.  I'm still going to run with less than total video video madness
mostly because it seems I don't want to pay another few hundred bucks for effects that only make things look like
a lot of video effects have definitely happened without making things look better in terms of resembling reality as I
seem to see it.  I guess lots of view distance would be nice, but I don't fly jets in the ARMAs much so that usually isn't
a big deal and my current set up seems to be running CLOD reasonably well.

Grim.Reaper

If anyone has the itch for the original Rome, can't beat a $1 at steam today....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4760/

Sir Slash

A new 11 min. gameplay video posted at  twcenter.net. Elephants included.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.