RIP Anthony Bourdain at 61 (suicide)

Started by bayonetbrant, June 08, 2018, 06:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Same here as many - I loved Bourdain's 'No Reservations' shows and his books also (Kitchen Confidential is a must read, I think). He even had a guest spot in an episode of Archer, one of my favorite Archer episodes.

Bourdain had a hell of a sense of humor, and it's sad yet interesting that those with such tend to be some of the most depressed individuals. A lot of comedians are highly depressed individuals that use their talents as an outlet. It can be difficult, sometimes impossible, to stay ahead of their demons. Bourdain had a lot going on in his past but he always struck me as a guy that redeemed himself and turned himself around. I hate to see that he wasn't able to keep ahead of it.

Everyone, I think, deals with this to an extent or two. I have my moments, too, far too many to count and deal with. I've had plenty of worries for those in my family too. It's prevalent and all you can do is take it a day, an hour, at a time.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

I dont say this to minimize a person but, never underestimate the darkness a hard drug addict has no matter where they are in recovery.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

True; that quote in the prior pic looks sadly ironic now. Keeping his body holier would have avoided some serious long-term problems.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Centurion40

Wow.  What a thread.

I will miss seeing Tony on TV.  I love his shows, his humour and his approach towards life.  But I've never walked in his shoes, and I am not his judge.  I've never dealt with drug addiction and I've yet to break into my 60s; but I have dealt with the Darkness- as many others have graciously shared.

The good news here is that that many will reach-out for help because of the publicity around Tony's suicide and the positive mental health messages issued by many celebrities because of it.  This world is a better place because Tony walked upon it.

Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

^Your last line there is probably the best way to look at it.

I watched his final show (Berlin) and then the tribute to him afterwards and just could not stop thinking 'such a waste of a good life.'

I hope he is at peace.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd