Solo With Spoilers

Started by Sir Slash, May 29, 2018, 09:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

OK. MY question is, I waited to see who the Crimson Dawn were working for and was surprised to see it was Darth Maul.  :o  With the frequent references to The Empire this and The Empire that, how could he be alive IF he got whacked by Obi-Wan back in Phantom Menace BEFORE the Empire was created? Or was it already in existence at the start of Phantom Menace and I missed it? Or did he have a twin too, another set of twins?  Come on you Star Wars experts, give me the explanation for this. It's killing me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

They brought him back in the Clone Wars animated series which is considered part of the new canon. I think it's stupid to dump him into Solo, but he is technically still around.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Harder to kill than cockroaches!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

As silly as it sounds for Maul to survive, the Clone Wars story line handled it about as well as possible. There was a fair amount of fan support for it too, since he was pretty much the best thing about Phantom Menace.

Having him show in Solo feels like pure fan service. OTOH, the entire movie feels like fan service.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

I kind of thought Vader would show his helmeted visage in this one. Maybe too obvious.

SirAndrewD

Having followed Clone War and Rebels, I'm not sure how Maul makes sense. 

I get Maul surviving and what he did in Clone Wars, and I read the Sons of Dathomir canon comic that showed what happened after Palpatine beat him down after he tried to make a comeback in Clone Wars. 

But it's hard to see him being able to built his criminal empire back up in the wake of its fall in Clone Wars.  Palpatine showed pretty blatantly that he found Maul's activities unacceptable. 

It's also a pretty short while before his appearance in Rebels, where he's depicted as losing everything and obsessed with revenge on Kenobi, which culminates in their final confrontation. 

It's odd that inbetween him getting crushed by Palpatine, he apparently rises again only to, I guess have another fall.  Seemed the movie is leaving a hole for a sequel, but considering the very "meh" response from even die hards like myself, I doubt that's happening.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on May 29, 2018, 07:54:42 PM
^NERD!!!!

Takes one to know one. 

Not really a surprise around these parts anymore. 

Now excuse me, I must go back to stitching together my Wookie Suit and translating R2 Binary dialogue.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

There is no way in hell that the film arm will feel themselves forced to adhere to any number of animated series as canon. We can expect Rebels to be retconned, and no doubt that comic book, if the producers decide interest in Maul warrants moar mauling.

(For goodness sake, TLJ is almost anti-canon, so...  ::) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, a quick recap about RLM's Solo predictions...

And the RLM review itself:

"Based on what you just heard [Rich chuckling with, not at, the movie], you know what's really surprising? ...I kind of loved it."  :o
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 29, 2018, 07:58:35 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 29, 2018, 07:54:42 PM
^NERD!!!!

Takes one to know one. 

Not really a surprise around these parts anymore. 

Now excuse me, I must go back to stitching together my Wookie Suit and translating R2 Binary dialogue.

I apologize. You are far less deserving of the nerd moniker than Pratt.

JasonPratt

My avatar is a promotional photo of myself, which I shot of myself, for a novel I published myself, which I paid for myself, 5000 units of which will be pulped soon because my own distributor doesn't care about me even paying rent on it anymore.

Your analysis is correct.  O0

mirth

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 29, 2018, 08:00:40 PM
There is no way in hell that the film arm will feel themselves forced to adhere to any number of animated series as canon. We can expect Rebels to be retconned, and no doubt that comic book, if the producers decide interest in Maul warrants moar mauling.

(For goodness sake, TLJ is almost anti-canon, so...  ::) )

Except that Pablo Hidalgo and the Lucas Story group has actually kept everything very tight, and was hired directly to avoid retocns.  The tie ins between Rebels and Rouge One are seamless.  The connections with the canon comic books are as well.

They've actually held themselves very close to the canon, including the animated series.  The mere fact that watching Clone Wars is almost necessary to understanding WHY Maul is in this movie is evidence of that.  Rogue One is evidence of the same with Saw Garerra bring brought over from animated to film.  It meshed almost perfectly with the Saw Geonosis story that was bookended with Rogue One so that after the movie aired, we saw why the Rebels and Saw split. 

The Comic Book, Son of Dathomir, is, again referenced in Solo as Maul says that's where he's returned to make his base of operations.  Again, it's got significance lost on anyone that hasn't read it, but they put it in the movie.

So, I wouldn't say it's a retcon.  I'd say they're trying to make the timeline too busy.  They don't want the Maul character to have downtime between his escape in Son of Dathomir and his return in Rebels.  He apparently stayed on Dathomir after the comic, which Solo overtly says, and tried to rebuild his criminal Empire there.  Why Palpatine let Maul do this is more the question.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on May 29, 2018, 08:04:05 PM

I apologize. You are far less deserving of the nerd moniker than Pratt.

Just give me a minute.