Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: mikeck on December 09, 2018, 07:02:36 PM
Quote from: jomni on December 09, 2018, 05:11:48 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 09, 2018, 05:09:11 PM
I'm confused. I thought the "big bundle" was for people who didn't own ANY of it. No SF1, no subs.....what do I get if I have never owned any shock force game but want SF2?

I bought the $35 all-in-one upgrade. Just input the one license key provided in the email. Didn't even have to look up the old licenses.

?? So you never owned SF1 or any modules and you only paid $35 to get SF2? I thought you had to have all the modules and SF1. I'm so confused. That would help....I don't need to play Brit or NATO forces

The store knows I own the whole set. So they probably looked it up and gave me the appropriate key to unlock everything

Another example. I own Black Sea and bought the engine 4 upgrade. The serial they gave only unlocks the main game as I didn't have the mission pack DLC

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jomni on December 09, 2018, 07:58:46 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 09, 2018, 07:02:36 PM
Quote from: jomni on December 09, 2018, 05:11:48 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 09, 2018, 05:09:11 PM
I'm confused. I thought the "big bundle" was for people who didn't own ANY of it. No SF1, no subs.....what do I get if I have never owned any shock force game but want SF2?

I bought the $35 all-in-one upgrade. Just input the one license key provided in the email. Didn't even have to look up the old licenses.

?? So you never owned SF1 or any modules and you only paid $35 to get SF2? I thought you had to have all the modules and SF1. I'm so confused. That would help....I don't need to play Brit or NATO forces

The store knows I own the whole set. So they probably looked it up and gave me the appropriate key to unlock everything

I certainly can be wrong, but don't think that is the case...I owned the whole set and had to put all three in.  Tried it with just the main and nothing worked.  Seems most posts point to needing all three at the official forums.  Maybe if people have the original CMSF installed during install (which I didn't have installed but owned) it somehow picks that up.     Not sure why for some people that would work, but as long as people get things working, I guess it doesn't matter.

jomni

Beats me. At least for my case it's just one key. I played Canadians to test out so I know the DLCs are unlocked.

Grim.Reaper

One question I do have that I am not sure if I have seen an official answer....when Steve from BF gave an update a few months back, said the initial release of CMFS 2 would only have one of the campaigns complete out of all of them.  Did that happen?  Or because of the delay did they get them all converted?  It's strange that if they aren't completed, I would think it would be a note on the purchase page for potential buyers to know since not everyone reads the forums.  So I am not sure what state everything is actually in...anybody?

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 09, 2018, 08:09:06 PM
One question I do have that I am not sure if I have seen an official answer....when Steve from BF gave an update a few months back, said the initial release of CMFS 2 would only have one of the campaigns complete out of all of them.  Did that happen?  Or because of the delay did they get them all converted?  It's strange that if they aren't completed, I would think it would be a note on the purchase page for potential buyers to know since not everyone reads the forums.  So I am not sure what state everything is actually in...anybody?

Task Force Thunder, the US Army campaign, and Semper Fi Syria, the Marines campaign, have been reworked with all enginge 4 improvements/features.

The British and NATO campaigns have not been reworked yet, but are currently being worked on and will be released as a free update when they are finished. However, you can still play the original NATO and British campaigns if you don't want to wait. There will be a few glitches in them, such as ditch trenches being replaced by wire fences, AI scripted plans being simplistic, and a lack of on map mortar/AA assets. I've actually played a fair bit of the German campaign in SF2 and even though it is not yet updated to the current standard, it is more than playable to me.

planetbrain

QuoteI was pleasantly surprised when installing CMSF2 big bundle.
Sorry, I feel I need to correct. I meant the CMSF2 big bundle upgrade (purchased for $US35) installed with the one key.
Mostly harmless

Pete Dero

I don't think the store knows it, but I guess during the install process they look in the registry of your computer or in the DRM software to see what you have and what parts can be unlocked.
Was CMSF1 on your computer when you installed CMSF2 ?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 10, 2018, 05:37:07 AM

I don't think the store knows it, but I guess during the install process they look in the registry of your computer or in the DRM software to see what you have and what parts can be unlocked.

i suspect this as well fir those that only had to input the new bundle key. 

trek

I own the whole set too, but I still had to input my original license keys for each module of the CMSF2 Big Bundle. The one-license key process seems to be hit-or-miss for some of us. The one-license key DID work for me a month ago when I reinstalled CMBN with all the modules using the master installer. So, go figure.

jomni

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 10, 2018, 05:37:07 AM

Clean. Never installed CMSF1 in this machine ever. Anyway looks like we have a process if the single license key method fails.

Jarhead0331

As to the quality of the campaigns that have not been completely upgraded yet, I echo CptMiller's assessment. I've been playing through the British campaign and having a good time with it. I haven't noticed any obvious errors or glitches.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Good to know about the campaigns, thanks all.

Jarhead0331

I seem to have a fratricide problem.

I'm almost more of a threat to my Marines than the Syrian army. In the second mission of the marine campaign, I had an F18 drop heavy ordnance near a building occupied by a recon team. I lost two marines as a result of this incident. I dont even think it was my fault. I had ordered airstrikes within the same urban area, but the hornet attacked a nearby vacant bunker and the explosion caused my loss. I did not perceive that the empty bunker would be a target, especially since it fell well outside of the target zone.

The next incident in the subsequent mission was a God damn disaster. I was assaulting a trench position and I ordered a long heavy pre attack bombardment with a pair of 155s. The occupying defenders panicked and broke, so I called a cease fire on the artillery. I sent a squad from 2nd plt F/2/6 into the trench,  but those shells kept falling. The anti personnel rounds pinned the squad and they just wouldnt stop coming down. I'm not sure if this is a bug. When it was all over, 8 marines were down.

I have a lot of trouble accepting casualties in this game. It really hits close to home. When its blue on blue...the frustration is even worse. War is hell, even on a computer.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

You need to preserve as much troops as possible in the campaign.
I remember having severely depleted squads in the later battles in the original Marines campaign.

markh

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2018, 11:08:30 PM
I seem to have a fratricide problem.

I'm almost more of a threat to my Marines than the Syrian army. In the second mission of the marine campaign, I had an F18 drop heavy ordnance near a building occupied by a recon team. I lost two marines as a result of this incident. I dont even think it was my fault. I had ordered airstrikes within the same urban area, but the hornet attacked a nearby vacant bunker and the explosion caused my loss. I did not perceive that the empty bunker would be a target, especially since it fell well outside of the target zone.

The next incident in the subsequent mission was a God damn disaster. I was assaulting a trench position and I ordered a long heavy pre attack bombardment with a pair of 155s. The occupying defenders panicked and broke, so I called a cease fire on the artillery. I sent a squad from 2nd plt F/2/6 into the trench,  but those shells kept falling. The anti personnel rounds pinned the squad and they just wouldnt stop coming down. I'm not sure if this is a bug. When it was all over, 8 marines were down.

I have a lot of trouble accepting casualties in this game. It really hits close to home. When its blue on blue...the frustration is even worse. War is hell, even on a computer.

I am not sure how much credit you give to, or reliability you place on, author Jon Krakauer who wrote "Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman".   He is cited in Wikipedia as claiming that 52% of casualties in the first Gulf War and 41% of casualties in the ongoing war in Iraq were due to "friendly fire".  Interestingly, he only attributes 13% of casualties in Afghan to "friendly fire".