Wil Wheaton on Mental Illness / Depression

Started by bayonetbrant, May 05, 2018, 08:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 05, 2018, 08:08:22 PM
http://wilwheaton.net/2018/05/my-name-is-wil-wheaton-i-live-with-chronic-depression-and-i-am-not-ashamed/

His anxiety disorder seems worse than the depression.  When you start stacking mental problems, they become harder to solve.  I'm glad that they found the correct drug regimen. 

Hopefully the people who have chronic problems will seek help.  Also hopefully those with short-term situational depression will not get on the drugs.  There are times in your life that are sad, which is very different from chronic depression. 

bayonetbrant

Some of us have decided to layer both on top of some other mental conditions :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

We need to get a lack of wargaming time recognized as a mental illness. The cure is of course, more gaming time and government subsidies to pay for morr games.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Glad he came forward. Hopefully with people like him doing so, it will help others.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

I've read Wil's blog on and off for a few years and really come to like him. That was a very raw, honest and brave piece.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

^+1. I associated him with the Crusher character early on and didn't think I liked him until I started following him.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Arctic Blast

I like seeing people who suffer from something like this come out and talk about it. Kevin Love of the Cleveland Cavaliers recently did the same regarding seeking help to deal with panic attacks. Demar Derozan of the Raptors has been quite open about his own issues with depression. There needs to be less of a societal stigma about these things.

mirth

I'm glad we're moving away from the 'John Wayne' stoicism around mental health issues. These are issues we all deal with to one degree or another. It's called being human. Ironically, I think societies were better at dealing with the human condition in the past. Look to the plays of Shakespeare or other 'great works'. They all examine what it means to be human and all the foibles, difficulties, and triumphs that go with being human.

Today, we're expected to be happy and if we're not completely happy every day that must mean we're not right.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

jamus34

So I know this is an older thread but Will's post really helped me see that I think I have "issues". I read that and was basically like "yes, that's me"

Irony of the matter is I'm not exactly having an easy time getting an appointment to speak to someone. And it's not like it's easy to take the leap of faith to reach out.

I've also come to realize that objectivity gets thrown out of the window with mental health issues. I don't necessarily want to go on a drug regimen but i don't know how much this affects me.

Sorry for the rambling post. In some ways talking about makes it somewhat easier i guess. If even to relative strangers.

Insert witty comment here.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: jamus34 on June 19, 2018, 09:24:09 AMIrony of the matter is I'm not exactly having an easy time getting an appointment to speak to someone. And it's not like it's easy to take the leap of faith to reach out.

I've also come to realize that objectivity gets thrown out of the window with mental health issues. I don't necessarily want to go on a drug regimen but i don't know how much this affects me.

I'm right there with you amigo  :peace:

magnus

I was pretty adamant about not wanting to go on psyche meds for my anxiety/depression.

However when I started thinking about the different ways that I self-medicated myself at times, I began to look at it in a different light.

bayonetbrant

mirth