Greatest Films According To Grogs: 1990 Sweet 16

Started by BanzaiCat, February 18, 2018, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

1990 in film. What a glorious and painful year for the movie-going public. I've tried to come up with the best 16-movie film list for releases from 1990, but had to leave a few good ones out, including ones that are SO bad, they're good. This year also happens to host one of my all-time favorite films!

Some of the films I had to pass on include Predator 2, Air America, and Fire Birds. While not classics, many were cheese-fests and still great fun even if they were bad.

Furthermore, this one is a bit different from the (first post) 1980 Sweet 16, in that I learned a lot more from MD and decided to put certain films from my top 16 versus each other - I think it'll bring out some hard choices, perhaps.

I encourage you to view all the trailers, just for nostalgia's sake. It was a lot of fun going through all the trailers for these films!

And once again, without further ado, I give you the Sweet 16 of 1990.

BRACKET ONE: 1 vs. 16

1. Awakenings

16. Navy SEALS

BRACKET TWO: 8 vs. 9

8. The Hunt For Red October

9. My Blue Heaven

BRACKET THREE: 5 vs. 12

5. Quigley Down Under

12. Young Guns II

BRACKET FOUR: 4 vs. 13

4. Goodfellas

13. The Godfather Part III

BRACKET FIVE: 6 vs. 11

6. Tremors

11. Arachnophobia

BRACKET SIX: 3 vs. 14

3. Days of Thunder

14. Darkman

BRACKET SEVEN: 7 vs. 10

7. Total Recall

10. Die Hard 2: Die Harder

BRACKET EIGHT: 2 vs. 15

2. Joe Versus The Volcano

15. Dances With Wolves

Steelgrave

Ah man, some real favorites here....but not "Dancing with Wolves", never that one   :coolsmiley:

Just watched "The Hunt for Red October" a couple of weeks ago and it holds up well, as does another favorite, "Quigley Down Under". Been planning on catching "Goodfellas" again, just haven't had the time. And "Total Recall" is definitely cheesier than I remembered but still fun. Some good matchups!

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Steelie! Good to know I'm on the right track with my selections.

mirth

Lord, I thought the music brackets were screwy :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Thanks, mirthie! Good to know I'm on the right track with my selections.

OJsDad

You're still in the minor leagues, until Brant starts whining every other bracket. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: jamus34 on February 19, 2018, 05:57:12 AM
Man, no Hudson Hawk?

I almost put it in, to be honest. But it boiled down to one thing - I thought the movie SUUUUUUCKED when it first came out.

I worked at Waldenbooks at the time and my manager, a very jovial fellow, said I was crazy and Hudson Hawk was THE best movie of ALL time. I thought HE was frigging nuts for saying that. ;D

I watched it a second time and I admit it grew on me a bit, but not a lot. The bottom line with some of my choices was, is this a movie I would watch again? If the answer is yes, without hesitation, it goes in. If not, nah.

Though, like MD did with his music brackets, there might be another runner-up type bracket in the future.

MetalDog

Not sure where you got the idea I had runner up Brackets.  Sixty four unique Brackets over 46 weeks.  Trust me, if you plan to follow my lead and do 40 weeks of these things, you'll not want to go back through the losers and trot them out again. ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

It's BC. This thing goes 4 weeks tops before he realizes he's in over his head :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

BanzaiCat

Quote from: MetalDog on February 19, 2018, 07:29:13 PM
Not sure where you got the idea I had runner up Brackets.  Sixty four unique Brackets over 46 weeks.  Trust me, if you plan to follow my lead and do 40 weeks of these things, you'll not want to go back through the losers and trot them out again. ;)

I was joking, sir. Plenty enough to do here.