Main Menu

Steaming Shekels

Started by Tpek, November 22, 2017, 01:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Recently Steam made a surprise announcement that from now on,
people from Israel will use NIS instead of USD on Steam (and the same goes for currencies for several other nations).

They thought it would probably encourage people to purchase more...
Except they messed it up.

Not only , due to years of purchasing games online in USD, I have no idea how much these games really cost now ( :buck2:),
but since Steam insists on regional pricing being set manually by publishers, half my wishlist is now unpurchaseable because the publishers have yet to enter
the new price for all the new different currencies.

#:-)  :uglystupid2:

Barthheart

Hmmmm... I've always liked that Steam presented me with the $CDN value. It gave me an easier way to determine if I should really buy a game yet...

Tpek

Quote from: Barthheart on November 22, 2017, 01:59:24 PM
Hmmmm... I've always liked that Steam presented me with the $CDN value. It gave me an easier way to determine if I should really buy a game yet...

Yeah, except I've got used to measuring game prices in USD by now.
So it really confuses me now :P

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on November 22, 2017, 01:51:58 PM

but since Steam insists on regional pricing being set manually by publishers, half my wishlist is now unpurchaseable because the publishers have yet to enter
the new price for all the new different currencies.

#:-)  :uglystupid2:

Doah!

It should default to USD, or something, if the publisher doesn't set it.  IMO.

Tpek

Also, the new Shekel prices are more expensive than the USD prices.

OJsDad

Quote from: Tpek on November 22, 2017, 03:36:54 PM

Well, converting $1 to Shekels, comes 3.51. 

I looked up the price of HOI4: Cadet Edition, it's currently on sale for $15.99.  That means it should be about 56.13 Shekels. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Tpek

Quote from: OJsDad on November 22, 2017, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 22, 2017, 03:36:54 PM

Well, converting $1 to Shekels, comes 3.51. 

I looked up the price of HOI4: Cadet Edition, it's currently on sale for $15.99.  That means it should be about 56.13 Shekels.

56.30 NIS :P

However, if you go for more AAA titles, you'll find a higher discrepancy.

bayonetbrant

Yeah, but think of all the shipping costs you're not paying!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 23, 2017, 01:16:32 PM

And they are way easier to sneak into the house.....

Tpek

Quote from: Barthheart on November 23, 2017, 03:02:54 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 23, 2017, 01:16:32 PM

And they are way easier to sneak into the house.....

I don't have any problem of sneaking anything into my house (the joy of being single) :P

Tpek

One of biggest additional drawbacks I have right now, is that I'm afraid to purchase games from places like GreenManGaming,
in fear that Steam will now refuse to recognize the Steam-Key (after all, Steam prices are now higher for me than in other places).

Barthheart

Quote from: Tpek on November 29, 2017, 12:44:03 PM
One of biggest additional drawbacks I have right now, is that I'm afraid to purchase games from places like GreenManGaming,
in fear that Steam will now refuse to recognize the Steam-Key (after all, Steam prices are now higher for me than in other places).

Eh? Steam has no idea what you paid. GMG bought the key from Steam in the first place and they are re-selling it to you.

Tpek

Quote from: Barthheart on November 29, 2017, 08:19:19 PM

Eh? Steam has no idea what you paid. GMG bought the key from Steam in the first place and they are re-selling it to you.

Keys for many games are region-locked because of prices.
So Steam might not accept GMG's keys for the Rest of World region now.

Barthheart

Quote from: Tpek on November 30, 2017, 04:50:13 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 29, 2017, 08:19:19 PM

Keys for many games are region-locked because of prices.
So Steam might not accept GMG's keys for the Rest of World region now.

Huh... did not know that...