Masks of Nylarlahotep - Original Box What to Do?

Started by airboy, November 21, 2017, 11:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I tried to look at my 1984 boxed edition of Masks of Nyarlathotep last night and discovered to my horror that it has gotten musty through the natural deterioration of the non acid-free paper it was printed on.  Still in primo shape and never marked up - but I cannot even read it without getting sick.

I'm guessing that my 1st edition Cthulhu by Gaslight has the same problem.

Perhaps my first edition of Horror on the Orient Express has the same problem.

I can replace these with updated versions in paperback or pdf, but what should I do with the originals? 

I shudder to think how much of my gaming stuff may have the exact same problems.

:pullhair:

Suggestions on how to sell them?  My guess is that I will never be able to read any of them again. :'(

bayonetbrant

There are different tricks you can find online to help w/ the mustiness - combination of sunlight, baking soda, something else.  Google it and you'll find plenty of suggestions, b/c they come up on a regular basis over a BGG and the wargaming group on FB
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 22, 2017, 08:29:18 AM
There are different tricks you can find online to help w/ the mustiness - combination of sunlight, baking soda, something else.  Google it and you'll find plenty of suggestions, b/c they come up on a regular basis over a BGG and the wargaming group on FB

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried these and my allergies are too severe for this to work with something close to my face (i.e. I'm reading it).  This is not an issue of a smell that ordinary folks would be taken aback by, this is an allergy trigger.

bayonetbrant

Ah, then I misunderstood.  Sorry.  I guess we're back to your idea - sell & replace :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

chemkid

very sad to hear this - can't imagine something like that happens to my games (my precious!) ...but, maybe it's a sign - a message from some other world - since FFG is releasing their Masks of Nyarlathotep as expansion for Eldritch Horror, a game you just bought, soonish - around 1Q next year i heard... ;)

i'm happy to hear from you when you'll do an AAR with your new Masks of Nyarlathotep expansion for EH.

cheers!

airboy

Quote from: chemkid on November 22, 2017, 11:00:50 AM
very sad to hear this - can't imagine something like that happens to my games (my precious!) ...but, maybe it's a sign - a message from some other world - since FFG is releasing their Masks of Nyarlathotep as expansion for Eldritch Horror, a game you just bought, soonish - around 1Q next year i heard... ;)

i'm happy to hear from you when you'll do an AAR with your new Masks of Nyarlathotep expansion for EH.

cheers!

Chaosium will have Masks on sale on Friday or Monday.  Plus, they have a new companion edition with proceeds going to Yog-Sothoth. 

chemkid

if i had someone to play RPG (like the old pen and paper rpgs) then i'd be all over it - i say 'go for it!' :)