Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer

Started by Destraex, November 21, 2017, 05:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I know how you guys love to slow things down. So thought I would mention that Deserts of Kharak now has a Tactical Pause in single player added with the latest patch.

Tactical Pause
http://steamcommunity.com/games/281610/announcements/detail/2918758927087894105
Tactical Pause is a feature that has become quite polarizing in the world of RTS games. Many people argue that tactical pause undermines the concept of "real time" strategy. However Tactical Pause has always been a part of the Homeworld franchise, and people expect it to feature in any Homeworld game. Its absence was a mistake which has now been rectified.

The player can now pause the game in the single player campaign and in skirmish games using the "P" key. During tactical pause players can issue combat, movement, and build commands to units which will be carried out once the game has become unpaused. There is audio feedback for any commands issued while paused, with visual feedback confirming the commands once the player unpauses the game.

Like all hotkeys, the Pause hotkey "P" is configurable by editing the custom.dokhotkeys file found in the backup and cloud files in the Deserts of Kharak Steam folder
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Martok

Huh.  I was unaware -- or perhaps had simply forgotten -- that the game didn't have tactical pause to begin with.  (The game is on my wishlist, hence why this is of interest to me.)  Thanks for the update, Destraex
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

This game was fantastic and it is one of the few games where I played completely through the campaign.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Does this game have any modes besides campaign and multiplayer, meaning any kind of skirmish or custom battles that can be setup for single players?

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2017, 07:32:30 PM
This game was fantastic and it is one of the few games where I played completely through the campaign.

Your initial review was excellent. It was all I could do to not buy it back then.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 21, 2017, 07:49:50 PM
Does this game have any modes besides campaign and multiplayer, meaning any kind of skirmish or custom battles that can be setup for single players?

Yes...there is a skirmish option.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Pete Dero

Quote from: Martok on November 21, 2017, 10:22:39 PM
^  Where is it available for only $15.00??!  TELL ME.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/homeworld-deserts-of-kharak

Sells for 15 € so should be around $15. (And in a few hours the Steam Thanksgiving Sale will start)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Martok on November 21, 2017, 10:22:39 PM
^  Where is it available for only $15.00??!  TELL ME.

I bought it from the reseller Kinguin

https://www.kinguin.net/category/23787/homeworld-deserts-of-kharak-steam-cd-key/

I bought from the first item listed which was GameProjkt....ended up even being the version that included both fleet DLC...not bad for $16 (I was wrong on $15) :)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

mirth

Grim.Reaper