Decades Feeder Bracket - 1968 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, November 19, 2017, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 08:49:12 PMEven Jimi isn't safe.

Especially when he's (1) covering Dylan, and (2) U2 did a better version of that song.

Peak Jimi is somewhere in the triangulation of Spanish Castle Magic, Little Wing, and Voodoo Chile.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

First of all, Jimi's version of Watchtower is superior to Dylan's.  Second of all, are you on crack?!?!?!  NO version is better than Jimi's!   :tickedoff:  :knuppel2:
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 09:29:25 PM
are you on crack?!?!?!

You're just now figuring that out after all of these brackets?
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 09:29:25 PMFirst of all, Jimi's version of Watchtower is superior to Dylan's.

That's like trying to limbo under an 80-ft high tension line - zero challenge

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 09:29:25 PMNO version is better than Jimi's!   :tickedoff:  :knuppel2:

au contraire

Watchtower isn't even one of Jimi's 10 best tunes
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: OJsDad on November 20, 2017, 09:33:24 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 09:29:25 PM
are you on crack?!?!?!

You're just now figuring that out after all of these brackets?

I always knew he had crap taste in hair metal and obscure bands, but, I didn't think he'd desecrate Jimi like that!

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 20, 2017, 09:39:22 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 09:29:25 PMFirst of all, Jimi's version of Watchtower is superior to Dylan's.

That's like trying to limbo under an 80-ft high tension line - zero challenge

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 09:29:25 PMNO version is better than Jimi's!   :tickedoff:  :knuppel2:

au contraire

Watchtower isn't even one of Jimi's 10 best tunes

Look, I'm pretty familiar with Hendrix's catalog released during his lifetime, and I am going to have to call bullshit on that.  Now you're just trolling me.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 09:40:16 PM
I didn't think he'd desecrate Jimi like that!

I suppose you're best off not asking me about the time I was jamming on "Hey Joe" with 5-6 friends as the soundcheck for New Kids On The Block when their band got stuck in traffic and couldn't get to the arena in time (I was on the stage crew).

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 20, 2017, 09:42:43 PM

I suppose you're best off not asking me about the time I was jamming on "Hey Joe" with 5-6 friends as the soundcheck for New Kids On The Block when their band got stuck in traffic and couldn't get to the arena in time (I was on the stage crew).

Maybe you should have played to your strength?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 09:41:46 PMLook, I'm pretty familiar with Hendrix's catalog released during his lifetime, and I am going to have to call bullshit on that.  Now you're just trolling me.

Hey Joe
Voodoo Chile
Purple Haze
Foxy Lady
Spanish Castle Magic
Little Wing
Are You Experienced
Manic Depression
Crosstown Traffic
Love or Confusion
Little Wing
Day Tripper

.... that's 12 and counting, just off the top of my head.

MetalDog

Hey Joe and Day Tripper are both covers.  And the Beatles did the better version.    Stevie Ray Vaughn covered Voodoo Child and did a better job.  You said Little Wing twice.  And Watchtower is better than Love or Confusion.  So, there ya' go, Top 10.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 20, 2017, 10:10:30 PM
Hey Joe and Day Tripper are both covers.  And the Beatles did the better version.    Stevie Ray Vaughn covered Voodoo Child and did a better job.  You said Little Wing twice.  And Watchtower is better than Love or Confusion.  So, there ya' go, Top 10.

Didn't mean to say Little Wing twice, so that's 11.  But I should've put Fire in there, so now we're pack to 12.

If you're going to claim Watchtower (a cover) then you don't get to pick on me about Hey Joe or Day Tripper.

Stevie's cover of Voodoo Chile is exceptional, especially when layered over the 'move out' scene in Blackhawk Down, but Jimi's version is still better than his version of Watchtower.

And I like Love or Confusion better.

Heck, I'd take Stone Free ahead of Watchtower, and in an argument with someone making irrational counterpoints, I'd pick Wind Cries Mary just to yank your chain O0

MetalDog

The Beatles did a better version of Daytripper, that's 11.  Watchtower is better than Love or Confusion, that's 10.  But then, that's music.  You can like what you like and no one can gainsay you.  So, enjoy your Watchtower-less Top 10.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 21, 2017, 06:47:18 AMThe Beatles did a better version of Daytripper, that's 11. 

Beatles version > Hendrix version ≠  Jimi's Watchtower > Jimi's Day Tripper

Beatles version > Hendrix version AND  Jimi's Watchtower < Jimi's Day Tripper

Barthheart

Just ignore Brant MD... all his taste is in his mouth.....  :P

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 20, 2017, 09:42:43 PM

Did I just hear you  correctly!!!!!..... New kids on the block  :D you were on this stage crew  :D  screw jimmi the beatles and Dylan...... We're talking Jordan Knight and Wahlberg 'hangin tough   :coolsmiley:

Oh man, I was NUTS about this group when I was about 13, I listened to their music, had their posters on my wall and...... Used their posters to cover my school books with!!! When all my mates were walking around with boring brown paper covering their school books, I had the lads from the block on mine  :smitten:
I had another friend in my high-school who was equally as obsessed as me about them, and we only had German language class together. I vividly remember sitting at the back of the class with her..... We went into full on stalker mode trying to come up with the best way to go to one of their concerts and accidentally 'bump' into the lads.... And of course, the object of our devotion ( joey for me, lol) would immediately make us their GF  :DD

Surprisingly none of that ever happened  ;D I think our plan lacked some finer details... Actually it lacked total detail and consisted entirely of fantasy, fueled by raging teenage hormones  ^-^  :dreamer: :smitten:

I suspect that you guys, Brant and MD, might just band together now in your total condemnation of my musical taste  ;D
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog