Murder on the Orient Express - 2017

Started by airboy, November 14, 2017, 08:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The wife and I went to see this today.  It is very well done.  The acting is superb, the sets and costumes are fantastic.  It was an excellent movie to see on the big screen.  This was much better than the 1970s version.

All that being said, don't try to stress out on whodunit.  This is Agatha Christie so the clues itself do not allow a viewer (or reader) to identify what happened.  Just enjoy the movie.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

Thanks, Airboy. My wife and I are both mystery buffs and this looked pretty good. On our list....
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

airboy

JasonPratt

I've heard on one review it was the other way around -- Branagh tries so hard to keep the viewer up to date with what Poirot is thinking, that the reviewer figured out the culprit a long time before he should have. (This was his only nitpick about the film, the balance of clue vs mystery was overbalanced toward obvious clues.)

Going to see if I can talk the parents into seeing it tonight for my birthday. (I'd rather see Thor 3, but I don't think Mom would care for that; and I've never read or watched MotOE, and Branagh's always fun to watch.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Emeraldlis

I saw this tonight and it's well worth a watch :) The cast is amazing, the cinema photography is beautiful, and it's Branagh..... So, it has a good dose of drama and tension!

It's by no means groundbreaking, but nicely done and very entertaining :) And I've always been a fan of poirot the TV series, and I've played a couple of the games a few years ago, and i like the 'who done it' genre. So it's ticked all the boxes for me :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

JasonPratt

Alas, I was unable to convince the Mom to go -- still too loud (she's afraid) at her age. Possibly so.

So Dad and I will Thor and JL on Saturday instead. We'll get to the MUURRRDDEERRRR later on Netflix or Prime or something. Mom was even talking about renting it at Redbox, and I didn't think she even knew what a Redbox was...  :o
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!