nothing worth reading reducted

Started by gameleaper, October 31, 2017, 12:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

reducted

Ubercat

This reminds me of a thread from 13 years ago, on a forum that no longer exists, in which we were trying to explain light to a YEC. He didn't believe in light, but thought that we all have eye beams that shoot out of our eyes and travel at infinite speed to gather visual information and then return to our eyes to show us what's out there.

The example he gave was that if his daughter were standing on the suns surface, looking back at earth, she would see the planet in real time (no 8 minute lag for the light to get there).   #:-)
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

gameleaper

reducted

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

gameleaper

reducted

Pete Dero

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2006/08/25/planet-earth-may-have-tilted-keep-its-balance-say-scientists?section=newsreleases

By analyzing the magnetic composition of ancient sediments found in the remote Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard, Princeton University's Adam Maloof has lent credence to a 140-year-old theory regarding the way the Earth might restore its own balance if an unequal distribution of weight ever developed in its interior or on its surface.

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1019

Many factors effect the angle of Earth's tilt. The motion of large air masses can change its tilt by measurable amounts even today. During the major Ice Ages, large sheets of ice on Earth's surface and lowered sea level may have caused the Earth to have an even larger tilt. Small changes in the Earth's surface like continental drift and variations of sea level acting over million of years time may change the tilt significantly.

Last, the Earth's spinning was affected by collisions with other bodies while it was forming. The last major impacts with a body 1000 kilometers across was about 4.5 billion years ago. The impact tore a chunk of material out of the Earth, and formed a ring of rock and debris around our planet which later became the Moon. At least that's our best current understanding of the process.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

gameleaper

reducted

mirth

Those Princeton science nerds probably haven't thought it through the way you have.

gameleaper

reducted

trailrunner

The first spaceship landed on earth was very, very big and heavy (the size of Texas, even), but it could also go very fast.  It landed in what is now northern Russia, and because it was so heavy and fast, it knocked the earth over a little.

One time I submitted a proposal to eliminate the tilt of the earth.  My idea was simple: get all 7 billion people to stand side by side across north America.  Then at the same time, they would start running south, which would cause the earth to tilt up northward.  7 billion people is a lot of people is a lot of people and would be enough to move the earth a little.  It might take a few times to get it back to exactly zero tilt, but then you'd just need fewer people until it was just right.  I sent my proposal to government.  They didn't fund it, but for my trouble they sent me a nice gift -- a hat made out of metal.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

gameleaper

reducted

mirth

BanzaiCat