Myths of Agincourt

Started by Cheimison, October 26, 2017, 02:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: Cheimison on October 26, 2017, 03:18:08 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 26, 2017, 03:16:10 PM
Bob, did we not win the 2 world wars or am I missing something?
Started both of them, too.
After all, you need a world empire to make a 'world war'. An almost landlocked country in central Europe is going to have a hard time doing that, no matter how mean and autocratic one deems them to be.

"We stand for freedom, except when we try to conquer the entire planet and enslave millions of men into our conscript armies of non-English hordes!"

England started ww1?

You will find me in the garden burning the history books

mirth

Wouldn't have been a problem if you chaps had just let the Boche have Belgium  :crazy2:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

I know, and then there's bob throwing bombs at arch dukes

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 26, 2017, 02:51:23 PM
We're English, we beat the French - it could have been 20 yobbos from Southampton versus 2 schoolboys on a donkey from Paris - doesn't matter, we won

LOL. Quite!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

besilarius

https://www.quora.com/Were-there-bows-arrows-that-can-penetrate-plate-armour

It might be of interest to this discussion that the French attempted to from a body of archers to copy the english.
The francs archers were to be a militia body of archers, intended tosupport the crown's military.
Unfortunately, the idea of each parish having an peasant assassin with a bow over the hearth, was deemed extremely dangerous by the French nobility. 
They managed to change the equipment so that perhaps a third carried bows, and the rest were outfitted like normal spearmen. 
It really didn't matter, since there was no formal unit training, and the called up militia were quite ineffective and poor.
Still, it shows how impressed the crown was by the power of the english longbowmen.

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

OJsDad

Quote from: Cheimison on October 26, 2017, 03:31:09 PM
Fine with me, anyone who believes Court Historians is essentially in a madhouse of his own construction.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.