I Recommend Adventure Fantasy Game

Started by Cheimison, October 25, 2017, 04:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheimison

Adventure Fantasy Game is a really fun, quirky, and simple OSR-styled game created by Paolo Greco. I highly recommend it and its supplements to anyone interested in something a bit different from straight rebuilds of OD&D.

It uses a 1d6 system where the objective is to roll 5+ (called 5More) and has a very versatile system of character leveling, magic and fighter talents. The combat system is not too dissimilar from Warhammer Fantasy (the tabletop miniature game, not the RPG) but is a little bit different.

I have run three different games (one with the author) and had fun with all of them. I have been corresponding with the author of Adventure Fantasy Game on and off for a few years, and he generously gave me a copy of the game and its supplements a while back. That, however, is not why I recommend this game. The mechanics are unique, and the content in the supplements is even more unique. In addition the way the spell and fighter talent system works in this game makes it very versatile, so that that the DM can create new alternative systems without having to reengineer everything. New classes and new monsters are EZ-PZ to invent or adapt. I once asked the author about making a new class for the game and asked him whether it should be a race, or a class and he said, "either, or both" - and dag-nabbit, he was right.

http://www.adventurefantasygame.com/