June 15, 1944 -- Hypothetical

Started by MengJiao, September 04, 2017, 06:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 07, 2017, 08:52:31 PM

Anyway, I will be surprised if 22nd Bde gets anywhere, especially if the Germans get a chance to shoot first in this ( 9pm ) turn.  For the 9pm turn, an infantry Brigade of the 49th is moving first, so things will be even worse for the SS.
  For the Germans, local reserves are dwindling, but two KGs will be arriving after sunrise on the 17th (one for Pz Leher and one from the 21st Pz for the SS).  For 2nd Army, there is one available and uncommitted armored brigade left.

Nightfall.  There is a sort of pause it seems as full night obscures things pretty much.  The Germans have hung on and inflicted stunning loses on formations attached to the 50th Division, while the SS has gotten more or less equally slaughtered on its part of the front (not shown in this photograph).  I was going to counterattack with the SS since they get night attack bonuses (just like paratroopers!), but things have gone so so so so badly for the SS that I think I'll spend the night digging in and hoping for a KG from 21 PZ.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 21, 2017, 07:28:42 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 07, 2017, 08:52:31 PM

Anyway, I will be surprised if 22nd Bde gets anywhere, especially if the Germans get a chance to shoot first in this ( 9pm ) turn.  For the 9pm turn, an infantry Brigade of the 49th is moving first, so things will be even worse for the SS.
  For the Germans, local reserves are dwindling, but two KGs will be arriving after sunrise on the 17th (one for Pz Leher and one from the 21st Pz for the SS).  For 2nd Army, there is one available and uncommitted armored brigade left.

Nightfall.  There is a sort of pause it seems as full night obscures things pretty much.  The Germans have hung on and inflicted stunning loses on formations attached to the 50th Division, while the SS has gotten more or less equally slaughtered on its part of the front (not shown in this photograph).  I was going to counterattack with the SS since they get night attack bonuses (just like paratroopers!), but things have gone so so so so badly for the SS that I think I'll spend the night digging in and hoping for a KG from 21 PZ.

Dawn of the 17th.  IT's hard to see here, but the loses are heavy on both sides.  This is probably why 2nd army stopped at about this time well before the storm hit.  Epsom -- which came about 10 days later -- had about 3 times as many troops involved on both sides and went on longer and wasn't that much bloodier than this small, stalled offensive.  The basic 2nd army policy that was evolving was tp put more and more tanks on narrower and narrower fronts.
Anyway...one last hurrah and this offensive will be stopping about 36 hours sooner than planned since:
a) the Germans have 2 big KGs coming in to stabilize things (12 SS is still caving in for some reason...very bad luck mostly)
b) 2nd ARmy has only one more brigade to commit (An armored Bde):

Bison

Holy hex and counter batman!  That is awesome.

bayonetbrant

the objective markers are for the allies, right?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MengJiao

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 19, 2017, 06:18:22 AM
the objective markers are for the allies, right?

Yes, they have taken a few, but I think they didn't get very far with this offensive -- farther than historically, but with about 10 times the loses.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bison on December 18, 2017, 11:21:47 PM
Holy hex and counter batman!  That is awesome.

Thanks!  It makes me wonder about an Epsom Expansion to this game.  The whole battlefield is there in this game (to the east of this section), you would just need to add three divisions to the 2nd Army and and 4 to the seventh army.  Probably a lot easier to do than adding the  two American beaches and the crazy bocage off that way beyond Caumont.  The designer of Operation Dauntless mentioned wanting to do Epsom, but that would involve a game about 5-6 times the size of Operation Dauntless so that seems unlikely.