Main Menu

X4 Foundations

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2017, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

To my knowledge I think it is 20+ rep, however if it is not then the air just went out of my ballon.  I could be wrong and it is 30. 

mikeck

I have a question about basic mechanics of the game. Is the universe the same for all players? Meaning if the Argon and Xenon go to war and a sector is a battlefield, is that occuring in everyone's game (via Steam update)? It wouldn't be exactly the same I suppose...but I saw a thread where players are talking about a war coming between several races and I'm wondering- since it's not an MMO, how that can be?

Of course, Elite Dangerous does it. There is one universe and you play in it. If you chose Solo mode however, you are invisible to other players and they are invisible to you basically
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

PanzersEast

Quote from: mikeck on December 10, 2018, 08:36:19 PM
I have a question about basic mechanics of the game. Is the universe the same for all players? Meaning if the Argon and Xenon go to war and a sector is a battlefield, is that occuring in everyone's game (via Steam update)? It wouldn't be exactly the same I suppose...but I saw a thread where players are talking about a war coming between several races and I'm wondering- since it's not an MMO, how that can be?

Of course, Elite Dangerous does it. There is one universe and you play in it. If you chose Solo mode however, you are invisible to other players and they are invisible to you basically

The world is dynamic and the economy.  The sectors are all placed randomly, as well as station etc.... so it is never the same from one player to the next.... or even if you start a new game.  When the war starts and how I am not sure.  There is a persistent threat, however I have heard players HQ being attacked and I have not been.  But I have been jumped by Xenon rogue raiders in different sectors.  Also, as I believe it, all ships are generated at the start of the game and after that if ships are destroyed or new ones introduced, they have to come from the shipyards.... no generating.  This means the economy has to work to bring shipments of wares to create the ships, parts, etc.... this is where we are suppose to profit.

Level 20 is were you can purchase capital ships, and I did buy a basic carrier and destroyer just to try out.  I had my corvette land on my carrier!

Bridge of the Destroyer

Bridge of the Carrier

Looking out from the bridge of the carrier, you can see 8 landing pads for small craft, another four on the back for medium.

You can barley see it, but my corvette is docked on the back of the carrier.

JasonPratt

...I just peed a little.  :o
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Impressive. There is big jump in size from Frigate to Destroyer. I'm reputation level 18 in Argon space, so it won't be long now...However, I've heard capital ships are presently pretty useless in the game. There is still apparently no large scale combat taking place.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2018, 10:40:33 PM
Impressive. There is big jump in size from Frigate to Destroyer. I'm reputation level 18 in Argon space, so it won't be long now...However, I've heard capital ships are presently pretty useless in the game. There is still apparently no large scale combat taking place.

Hmmm. Is this something identified as an issue that will be addressed in an upcoming patch?

Huw the Poo

Quote from: mikeck on December 11, 2018, 08:49:21 AM

Hmmm. Is this something identified as an issue that will be addressed in an upcoming patch?

It has apparently been addressed in today's patch.  Also the lead developer posted a video yesterday (which I haven't watched yet) in which I believe he says it's generally something they're addressing before Christmas.

Have no fear - Egosoft always deliver sooner or later.  I don't blame people for being cautious right now, but X4 is going to get better and better.

PanzersEast

Finally got a SETA drive built....

Also

X4: Foundations 1.32 Update Released
DECEMBER 11

• Removed ability to assign trading/mining ships to invalid tasks and commanders.
• Fixed factions not building new ships.
• Fixed highway destinations not being displayed in target monitor.
• Fixed guild missions not correctly restarting if a mission was failed or aborted.
• Fixed player-owned ships formerly belonging to pirates sometimes attacking the player.
• Fixed getting stuck in trader areas on the Teladi trade station.
• Fixed being able to save game while Game Over is displayed.
• Fixed occasional menu crash when changing crew at a shipyard/wharf/equipment dock.
• Fixed Load Game menu breaking when trying to load an empty savegame slot.
• Fixed Confirm/Cancel buttons sometimes missing in ship or station configuration menus.
• Fixed top menu arrow not showing in Chinese/Korean localisations.
• Fixed another cause of rare crashes.

mikeck

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 11, 2018, 12:46:27 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 11, 2018, 08:49:21 AM

It has apparently been addressed in today's patch.  Also the lead developer posted a video yesterday (which I haven't watched yet) in which I believe he says it's generally something they're addressing before Christmas.

Have no fear - Egosoft always deliver sooner or later.  I don't blame people for being cautious right now, but X4 is going to get better and better.

Trust me, I'm not concerned about their willingness to fix it....I played Rebirth for years from releas !

I just didn't want to start a game if something like that wasn't working yet

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2018, 09:31:03 AM
Honestly, I think I'm burning out. Its just too open sandbox for me. I wish there was more of a story line and more of a main plot to quest and follow.

JH, I'd be interested in your thoughts between this and Elite Dangerous. I know you were mad on Elite, but that didn't really have a story at all either and was VERY open sandbox. Also there wasn't anything in the way of empire building in Elite that I remember.

So is this better or worse than Elite and why?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 12, 2018, 03:26:53 PM
Honestly, I think I'm burning out. Its just too open sandbox for me. I wish there was more of a story line and more of a main plot to quest and follow.

JH, I'd be interested in your thoughts between this and Elite Dangerous. I know you were mad on Elite, but that didn't really have a story at all either and was VERY open sandbox. Also there wasn't anything in the way of empire building in Elite that I remember.

That's a good question. Elite certainly has better production values. It looks better, it feels better and the ship to ship combat is vastly superior. However, X4 is much broader in terms of what you can do. I mean, you can build space stations and fleets. You can manufacture your own goods and parts. You can take control of whole sectors of space. Overall, X4 is going to be a much bigger game in terms of player activity, even though the universe in Elite is much, much, much larger than the one in X4.

Still, I think given our conversation about open world sandbox games and repetition, I can see you really digging X4 for about 20 to 30 hours and then simply getting bored. Without a main story plot or campaign to follow, activity unavoidably becomes repetitious and ultimately loses its excitement. I'm already feeling this in X4. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MOS:96B2P

This game sounds interesting.  I like the idea of starting off with very little and building an empire.  Military or business, both are fun.  I also like sandbox type games.  I've never played a space type game like this however.  The closest was probably Sid Meiers Alpha Centari.  :)

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 12, 2018, 04:09:38 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 12, 2018, 03:26:53 PM

That's a good question. Elite certainly has better production values. It looks better, it feels better and the ship to ship combat is vastly superior. However, X4 is much broader in terms of what you can do. I mean, you can build space stations and fleets. You can manufacture your own goods and parts. You can take control of whole sectors of space. Overall, X4 is going to be a much bigger game in terms of player activity, even though the universe in Elite is much, much, much larger than the one in X4.

Still, I think given our conversation about open world sandbox games and repetition, I can see you really digging X4 for about 20 to 30 hours and then simply getting bored. Without a main story plot or campaign to follow, activity unavoidably becomes repetitious and ultimately loses its excitement. I'm already feeling this in X4.
Thanks.

I kind of expected that answer and particularly the bold bit...I do like stories to guide me. Left to my own devices, I end up wondering what my actually point of being there is.

I will very probably pick this up anyway - even though I know what I know and also that it looks more similar to Rebirth than X3 (me preferring X3 to Rebirth). Especially if it's on sale at Christmas. Less money wasted then  ;D
Alba gu' brath