USS John S McCain Collides with Merchant Ship

Started by OJsDad, August 20, 2017, 07:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/20/uss-john-s-mccain-collides-with-merchant-ship-in-pacific.html

QuoteThe guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain was involved in a collision with a merchant vessel east of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca, the Navy said in a tweet.

Initial reports indicate the warship sustained damage to its port side aft.

No immediate word on any casualties. Search and rescue efforts are under way in coordination with local authorities, the Navy said.

The warship is named after John S. McCain, Sr., and John S. McCain, Jr., both Admirals in the U.S. Navy, and the grandfather and father, respectively, of the Arizona senator.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

That looks pretty serious. Maybe the bow-bulge thing from the tanker hit there? Probably lots of flooding inside.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Con

My dad is a Korean War navy vet and his comments on these accidents are pretty telling. "This does not look like a navy that is ready to fight a war. "

I bet a bunch of senior heads are going to roll

Jarhead0331

Seriously. Extremely embarrassing and concerning. There is clearly a major deficiency in training somewhere and I suspect an over-reliance on complex technology.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: Con on August 21, 2017, 11:34:11 AM
My dad is a Korean War navy vet and his comments on these accidents are pretty telling. "This does not look like a navy that is ready to fight a war. "

Yeah, there's going to be a shake up for sure.

The upside (if you can call it that) is that the sailors onboard who are having to deal with these fuck-ups have responded in the best traditions of the service

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/13591/navy-releases-harrowing-report-on-fitzgerald-collision-begins-punishing-sailors
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Yep.

Marty Ward

I know. If they can't avoid a lumbering merchant ship how do they expect to survive in a combat situation? If I was on a carrier I'd be nervous about those ships who are supposed to be protecting me.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

jomni

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 21, 2017, 10:06:55 AM
That looks pretty serious. Maybe the bow-bulge thing from the tanker hit there? Probably lots of flooding inside.

Yes.  The tanker had damage to the bow.  It looks like a torpedo hit.

Staggerwing

[tinfoilhat] I'm actually wondering if there is a darker force at work.

Why are these accidents all happening in the 7th fleet and specifically to vessels that would be a key part of fleet defense? Is it possible that the software used to process the ships' sensors' data has been hacked somehow? [/tinfoilhat]
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

If we're going to go conspiracy theory, you have to wonder if there's agenda behind these merchies crashing into billion dollar destroyers while they patrol the Far East.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

It is all at the very least most convenient for at least two someones in the area, one for short term gain and one for long term PR and Realpolitik.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Top U.S. Navy admiral orders "operational pause" in US fleets worldwide following #USSJohnSMcCain collision.

https://www.facebook.com/ChannelNewsAsia/videos/10154907976367934/

Opportune time for the enemy to attack.

mirth

Opportune time for the Fleet to get its head out of its ass.