Main Menu

Photobucket

Started by JudgeDredd, June 07, 2017, 04:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I've decided I'm going to drop Photobucket. I wished I had before "getting in deep". I do not like their pricing policy.

A while back, I paid to upgrade from their free 3GB service to get 10GB. I then had to pay a further £10 to go "ad free".

I've just been notified by them "my subscription has ran out". When I followed their link, it took me to a page to upgrade to 30GB or 50GB. It was clearly designed to make me think my 10GB "subscription" was running out and I had to buy one of these other ones. It didn't take me to a page to tell me my ad free subscription had ran out and that I needed to renew that. It took some head scratching - from a very computer literate person - to work this out and see what they were doing.

I do not like that kind of sales tactic.

I was pissed off that they took my money for space and wanted to charge more for going "as free" anyway - but I bit the bullet last year.

Since my ad-free subscription has ran out I've noticed

• the click on the image to copy the URLs doesn't work
  • the speed of loading has reduced dramatically
  • not just ads in the window - there are also popup ads to contend with too

So I won't be using them anymore. So if you see any of my images I posted here disappear - apologies - it's probably because I deleted the account.[/list]
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Even if you go to a new image hosting service, can't you let your Photobucket account revert to 'Free' and keep some of your old pix linked to your posts? My guess is that they will only delete the 'overage' above the free limit, either the oldest or newest pix.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

My 10gb account was bought and isn't subscription based. So I won't lose any pictures. They will remain and only disappear if I delete the account and I'll only do that if they keep annoying me with emails.

It's only the ad-free subscription that has ran out - and that has ended my love for uploading there...it's just a slow, messy nightmare...even worse than before.

Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Mark the emails as spam so you won't see them.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bbmike on June 07, 2017, 06:14:43 AM
Mark the emails as spam so you won't see them.
^ true dat  O0
Alba gu' brath

Bison

Yeah photobucket has really turned into a shitshow. 

mirth

Quote from: Bison on June 07, 2017, 06:59:38 AM

It's almost unusable now.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Greybriar

What is a good image hosting service?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bayonetbrant

I use Flickr, or just cross-post images from FaceBook
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on June 07, 2017, 07:59:10 AM

It's almost unusable now.
Yes it is - hence my dismay at using it and forced exit
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2017, 08:48:01 AM
I use Flickr, or just cross-post images from FaceBook

I probably have a Flickr account. Time to track it down.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Agreed. I need to find a decent alternative.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

OMFG!!!

Photobucket have disabled ALL my images...basically removed them from "the internet" on every post I've ever made and replaced it with me having to buy a P500 upgrade - which costs $399!!!!!!

When I started Photobucket, it was free for 3GB. I upgraded to 10GB for £25 and then upgraded for $15 to remove advertising which I did last year. I was always able to copy and paste the links from my images into posts. The whole point of it was that I could easily copy the link (a click of the mouse on the image URL and it's copied).

Now they're saying it's against their "Terms of Service" on my "account level" and I need to upgrade.

Basically every single picture I've ever linked to through Photobucket - which was THE WHOLE IDEA behind Photobucket - has disappeared from all my posts.

Just as annoying is the fact that I have absolutely no-one to contact to tell them how disgusted I am with their service and practice.

If they think my links across the web are more important to me than $400, they can think again!

I actually think what they've done is a disgrace. If my posting links to MY images hosted on their website was against their rules, then why are the links there? When I first started using Photobucket I'm sure I recall part of their marketing being how easy it was to share your images across the globe!

Fuming is not the word!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Seems like it might be a thing they started today - I certainly only noticed it today.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?401388-Photobucket-p500

They've effectively changed their business model and "stole" my pictures (as they're no use to me on there without the links) and the £25 I paid for 10GB of storage because under that 10GB agreement was the fact you could post your links - that was the advertised benefit of Photobucket when I started using it.

They've done this as a money grab on a Friday to get people (including businesses) to pay up!

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Hmm... that seems pretty bogus. I don't even have any of the paid level accounts but I've only used 3% of my allotted free hosting. Let me try posting a pic:

Seems to work. lets see what happens after it's been viewed a few times. Maybe there's a limit to how many hits the lower level accounts can have?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys