Interview with PW Singer

Started by DicedT, May 23, 2012, 09:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

I talked with the Wired for War author, who's a consultant for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. He has some interesting observations about the future of warfare: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/05/08/call_of_duty_black_ops_interview

Michael

bayonetbrant

I found this question to be particularly good

QuoteFP: Many of the next generation of soldiers will play this game, which means eventually the next generation of commanders will have played it. Do you believe video games like this affect how real armies fight?

it's a question I would LOVE to see asked of many folks in military leadership
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

as a follow-up from the answer to that question...

QuoteI talked to a Navy SEAL training officer who said, "With my generation, if we were told to run for the wall, we ran for the wall. With this generation, if you tell them to run for the wall, they ask why." But then he added, "If you tell them why, they'll figure out a better way to do it."

It's interesting that you hear that with every generation.
My dad's first assignment ('71) was command of a basic training company (as a 2LT, he was a commander!).  His First Sergeant used to claim the same thing.
My NCO's in 1-40 AR back in California said the same thing about their EMs.
I heard the same thing 10 years later when those EMs became platoon sergeants.
I suspect we'll be hearing it again in 20 years.  And 40 years.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 23, 2012, 09:28:56 AM
as a follow-up from the answer to that question...

QuoteI talked to a Navy SEAL training officer who said, "With my generation, if we were told to run for the wall, we ran for the wall. With this generation, if you tell them to run for the wall, they ask why." But then he added, "If you tell them why, they'll figure out a better way to do it."

It's interesting that you hear that with every generation.
My dad's first assignment ('71) was command of a basic training company (as a 2LT, he was a commander!).  His First Sergeant used to claim the same thing.
My NCO's in 1-40 AR back in California said the same thing about their EMs.
I heard the same thing 10 years later when those EMs became platoon sergeants.
I suspect we'll be hearing it again in 20 years.  And 40 years.

IIRC the same thing was said of our Continental Army when it was formed. The distinguishing feature of our soldiers was that they didn't follow orders blindly, but questioned them, and executed after they understood the intent.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.