Star Wars role-playing game

Started by acctingman, December 20, 2016, 06:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

My best friend runs a D&D group (that I used to be a part of, but for some reason, I don't like pnp D&D).

After seeing Rogue One the suppressed desire to run a SW campaign cannot be contained! However, I know nothing about the various rulebooks out there AND I have zero experienced running any kind of game.

So, to anyone that has GM'd or played in a group....love to hear your comments or suggestions of which you prefer?

Thanks

Bison

We play the fantasy flight Star Wars RPG.  It is a lot of fun but uses a different dice mechanic than traditional RPGs.  Once you get over that learning curve the game system really opens up.  Any of the beginners boxes are a great introduction and give you most importantly a set of the dice.

acctingman

LOL

I was thinking you'd respond Bison!  :notworthy:

I'm going to pick up the beginner box and go through them. I've heard the old WEG d6 book(s) are too bad either. If I can find them on the cheap I might pick them up too.

Thanks!

Nefaro

I second his suggestion. 

Any Beginner Box for FFG's Star Wars RPG is great at teaching all the basics and providing the materials to take those first steps. 

If you end up enjoying that and want more then you can later pick up one, or more, of the core Hardback books.  They use the exact same system, but add more customization options, more GM stuff, and setting fluff.  A lot more of everything. 

There are three different core manuals, each based on what type of campaign you want to run.  Smuggler/Merc, Rebellion, or Force sensitives.  You only need one. 

Can also buy extra sets of the special Star Wars dice if you need more in the future.  I think many recommend having at least two sets, possibly more depending on how much you wanna pass around & share.

I actually picked up a few lots of common & uncommon minis from the old Star Wars Miniatures game for use with it.  They're pre-painted so didn't have to spend huge amounts of painting time to have passable looking minis to use with it.  The game's Zone mechanics simplifies ranges so you don't need to measure anything, so it doesn't change the RPG style too much with a bunch of anal-retentive exactness.  Which is great for an RPG in my opinion. 

Bison

Quote from: acctingman on December 20, 2016, 06:54:58 PM
LOL

I was thinking you'd respond Bison!  :notworthy:

I'm going to pick up the beginner box and go through them. I've heard the old WEG d6 book(s) are too bad either. If I can find them on the cheap I might pick them up too.

Thanks!

I have a thing for RPGs. :)

The WEG d6 system is good but the books can be expensive if you can find them.

acctingman

Bison

Well you only need one if you like the class/races in the book.  I eventually picked up all three, because it opened up character options.  The one downside is there is a bunch of material that is in all three books.  We also picked up the setting books and a couple of the class specific books.  Good game, but your wallet will cry mercy if you plan on being a completist.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on December 20, 2016, 07:39:06 PM
Well you only need one if you like the class/races in the book.  I eventually picked up all three, because it opened up character options.  The one downside is there is a bunch of material that is in all three books.  We also picked up the setting books and a couple of the class specific books.

I admit, I picked up two of the core books, a GM screen, and an extra dice pack beyond what I had in the starter intro set.

Haven't grabbed any sourcebooks yet.  Those are usually where the cost-to-page ratio gets pretty painful.  So I'm often hesitant, despite those often being quite dense with extra info.

QuoteGood game, but your wallet will cry mercy if you plan on being a completist.

It's that way with any FFG line.  But they're far from the only company doing so, especially regarding RPGs.  I was pretty happy with how much was in the core books, and the artwork is quite nice too.  :notworthy:

I've also been getting the completionist itch with The One Ring lately.  Trying to keep my splat-book purchases to a minimum, but those damn books are beautiful works of art, alone.  Damn yous Cubicle 7!  Damn yous to heyllll!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I have the following WEG d6 books.  Make me an offer if you're interested.

Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game rule book (1st ed) 122 pg.

Star Wars Sourcebook (1st ed) 142 pg.

Star Wars Imperial Sourcebook (1st ed) 143 pg.

Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (2nd ed) 167 pg

Star Wars Rules Companion (1st ed)

Star Wars Campaign Pack and GM Screen (1st ed)

Star Wars GM screen (2nd ed)

Star Wars adventure modules:
-Death in the Undercity
-Otherspace
-Otherspace II: Invasion
-Tatooine Manhunt
-Riders of the Maelstrom
-Strike Force: Shantipole
-Battle for the Golden Sun
-Black Ice

acctingman

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 20, 2016, 07:57:37 PM
I have the following WEG d6 books.  Make me an offer if you're interested.

Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game rule book (1st ed) 122 pg.

Star Wars Sourcebook (1st ed) 142 pg.

Star Wars Imperial Sourcebook (1st ed) 143 pg.

Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (2nd ed) 167 pg

Star Wars Rules Companion (1st ed)

Star Wars Campaign Pack and GM Screen (1st ed)

Star Wars GM screen (2nd ed)

Star Wars adventure modules:
-Death in the Undercity
-Otherspace
-Otherspace II: Invasion
-Tatooine Manhunt
-Riders of the Maelstrom
-Strike Force: Shantipole
-Battle for the Golden Sun
-Black Ice

Thank you SDR!

After some researching I'm going with the newer Fantasy Flight game!

Nefaro

While I enjoy the idea of role-playing in the Star Wars universe, it has one shortcoming for me.  A general lack of the horror theme. 

It's so prevalent in many RPG worlds, and is a treasure trove of ideas for the GM to use in many of them. 

While a little could be brutally shoehorned into Star Wars, with excuses claiming "the Dark Side", it was just never a thing in the movies.  Even the nasty alien encounters seemed more like a wildlife show featuring furry or large animal predators than something like Aliens.

So your GM toolbox is smaller regarding the bad guys.  Although some of it could be mitigated with killer droid storyline seeds or 'experimental' humanoid testing gone wrong I suppose.

acctingman

Quote from: Nefaro on December 21, 2016, 02:30:27 PM
While I enjoy the idea of role-playing in the Star Wars universe, it has one shortcoming for me.  A general lack of the horror theme. 

It's so prevalent in many RPG worlds, and is a treasure trove of ideas for the GM to use in many of them. 

While a little could be brutally shoehorned into Star Wars, with excuses claiming "the Dark Side", it was just never a thing in the movies.  Even the nasty alien encounters seemed more like a wildlife show featuring furry or large animal predators than something like Aliens.

So your GM toolbox is smaller regarding the bad guys.  Although some of it could be mitigated with killer droid storyline seeds or 'experimental' humanoid testing gone wrong I suppose.

Yea, I agree. In D&D there are creatures/encounters that made you pee yourself. For me, it was Beholders....they messed me up inside  :uglystupid2:

With Star Wars, I can see that element missing. Of course, walking down a Mos Eisley side street and running into Darth Vader might cause a little pee to come out  :bd:

Bison

It's a different sort of tension.  Having a bounty placed on a player by a hutt or being accused of being a rebel spy.  Create a few bounty hunters that will strike fear into the players when they try and visit a spaceport or cantina.  The real problem is if you are playing with Star Wars lore purists.  That will curtail creativity faster than anything.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on December 21, 2016, 04:00:37 PM
The real problem is if you are playing with Star Wars lore purists.  That will curtail creativity faster than anything.

That's when you, as GM, have the Death Star pop out of hyperspace and wax the planet they're on. Then hand them a fresh stack of character sheets.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Dammit Carl!

Somewhere out there is something titled Star Wars: Revised, Expanded and Updated that is a fan service rpg based off the WEG version that is pretty damn well self-complete.  Probably waaaayyy illegal in terms of IP usage and all of that, so no linky from me, but its worth a looksie.

And yes, I know you said you're going with FFG's offering. I'm just putting up a cheaper alternative.

I always thought 1st edition of WEG's take on Star Wars was the best in terms of "simple, and fun," but I've fond memories of it so perhaps I'm biased.